Coffee Can, why do some have two "nipples"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coffee Can, why do some have two "nipples"

So I am checking to see (just in case) I do need to get a new vac coffee can (E1VY-19A566-A) The one one my '86 Tudor GM has only one nipple for the vac line that goes back to the dash tree, why do I see ones that are almost identical on E-Bay, but have two nipples on one end. Can this be subbed for the one on the car with only one nipple?....

For different vacuum routings. Cap off the extra nipples, you'll be fine. Also, it doesn't have to be the coffee can form. Any vacuum reservoir of decent size will work, you just have to mount it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Many thanks!!!!!!!
      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      For different vacuum routings. Cap off the extra nipples, you'll be fine. Also, it doesn't have to be the coffee can form. Any vacuum reservoir of decent size will work, you just have to mount it.

Comment

just thought of one other thing, what if the can has a check valve in it??

Comment

Cans don't have check valves in them. That's a plastic ball Ranger/Explorer thing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

replaced mine in creamy with a army canteen
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Sly,
              Trolling around E-Bay I have seen round cans that claim to have check valves....
              Originally posted by sly View Post
              Cans don't have check valves in them. That's a plastic ball Ranger/Explorer thing.

Comment

Update, found a new D9AZ-19A566-A can..........for a 1980 Crown Vic and MGM, but it says for manual a/c.......since I have ATC on my '86 can I still utilize this???

Comment

I was speaking of the single port cans. No clue about the 2-port cans. Those may have a check valve in them. I could see that if the vacuum source goes to the can and then to the cabin.

That part number pulls up what looks like the 2-nipple one. That one may have a check valve. I don't know for sure what the older cars used. You can use it, but just plug one port. You can also just use the GM ball as well (which is what several folks have done in the past).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The ATC ones are coffee can size, manual ones are Dinty-Moore beef stew can size. It will work, but if the system is leaky it may creep towards hot defrost more quickly than if you had the larger can. The reservoir on myy car is probably smaller in volume than the Folgers can but I haven't had any problems.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was sent the one with one nipple, and Green claims no internal check valveClick image for larger version

Name:	Coffee Can D9AZ-19A566-A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1284108
                      Originally posted by sly View Post
                      I was speaking of the single port cans. No clue about the 2-port cans. Those may have a check valve in them. I could see that if the vacuum source goes to the can and then to the cabin.

That part number pulls up what looks like the 2-nipple one. That one may have a check valve. I don't know for sure what the older cars used. You can use it, but just plug one port. You can also just use the GM ball as well (which is what several folks have done in the past).

Comment

I know this sounds stupid, but could someone explain to me how the amount of vacuum can control the relative speed of the blower motor.....I just can not make the connection??

Comment

Vacuum reservoir shouldn’t have any effect on the blower motor speed. Lack of vacuum to the HVAC panel can affect air direction however, since the blend doors for vent selection and such use vacuum for those functions.

My Cars:
                          -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                          -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I think it can, actually, with the 89- vacuum ATC system, if a drop in vacuum results in a misbehaviour of the relationship between the interior temperature sensor and the blend door servo.

Zero vacuum = servo returns to full hot position.

Otherwise, vacuum loss would result in vent selection defaulting to defrost, so the air will stop coming out of the expected locations, also simulating the blower slowing down.

Current driver: Ranger
                            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                            | 88 TC | 91 GM
                            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

With ATC systems, the blend door position dictates the fan speed by some means. I never dug deep enough into the system to find out how it does it though.

Comment

Working...
                              X