Exhaust, '86 MGM 5.0 VIN "F" Tudor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust, '86 MGM 5.0 VIN "F" Tudor

So I get into a heated discussion with the local auto parts counter person (computer jockey).
    I ask for a muffler and all exhaust pipes for my Tudor...........well he then tells me there is no mention that there was ever a Tudor MGM or Crown Vic........he sends a muffler to the shop with a tail pipe....for a four door.

Completely wrong............question.........if I want to replace the single exhaust on my car what is needed?......I know there are pipes that come down from the exhaust manifold into the front of the cat's, out of the cat's are pipes that go into the front of the muffler, then out the muffler is a Y pipe,(tail pipe).
    Can someone tell me what the deal is..and what exactly I have to order........I will hate to bring the car to Meineke or Midas:-(

Thanks in advance for allowing me to vent

4dr and 2dr ride the same wheelbase. The exhaust is the same between them with the exception of the Mark VI.

You would essentially be doing what I detailed in my Lincoln thread recently. The pipes that come down to the cats are integral with them, if they are the factory cats. The same applies to the pipes exiting the cats, to the flanges, at which point either a Y or H pipe attaches. However, the factory-style dual exhaust hangers are absolutely unobtainium, so no matter what, you're either using universal parts or getting some welding done to make hangers happen.

Walker 40483 is a ready-made H-pipe for the Ford and Mercury cars (and 2-door Mark VI). 40492 is for Town Car and 4-door Mark VI, due to the extra length in front of the rear axle. However 40483 is in short supply at most places and may be discontinued; 40492 can likely be used if you wrangle things around a little or use shorter mufflers.

The tailpipes are readily available from Walker (and the average parts chain does sell their stuff) as well as pre-formed pipes.

Edit:
    Relevant direct reply links for the exhaust project:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post813723
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post813799
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post814064
    Last edited by kishy; 05-31-2018, 06:07 PM.

Current driver: wagon
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Many thanks....after getting the "boss" involved this is what I was told: Y pipe is Walker number 40490....Tail pipe is Walker 46539.......Muffler is 18182, or 22105 (SS). Does this sound applicable??
      Originally posted by kishy View Post
      4dr and 2dr ride the same wheelbase. The exhaust is the same between them with the exception of the Mark VI.

You would essentially be doing what I detailed in my Lincoln thread recently. The pipes that come down to the cats are integral with them, if they are the factory cats. The same applies to the pipes exiting the cats, to the flanges, at which point either a Y or H pipe attaches. However, the factory-style dual exhaust hangers are absolutely unobtainium, so no matter what, you're either using universal parts or getting some welding done to make hangers happen.

Walker 40483 is a ready-made H-pipe for the Ford and Mercury cars (and 2-door Mark VI). 40492 is for Town Car and 4-door Mark VI, due to the extra length in front of the rear axle. However 40483 is in short supply at most places and may be discontinued; 40492 can likely be used if you wrangle things around a little or use shorter mufflers.

The tailpipes are readily available from Walker (and the average parts chain does sell their stuff) as well as pre-formed pipes.

Edit:
      Relevant direct reply links for the exhaust project:
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post813723
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post813799
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post814064

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
        Many thanks....after getting the "boss" involved this is what I was told: Y pipe is Walker number 40490....Tail pipe is Walker 46539.......Muffler is 18182, or 22105 (SS). Does this sound applicable??
        If you're just replacing single with single, then yes, that looks right. Your existing single exhaust hangers should line up with the muffler (hanger bolts to it, the muffler has mounting legs sticking out the back), and tailpipe (pipe has a bracket welded on by Walker which attaches to your existing hanger).

46539 is the tail I used on my passenger side; I can personally confirm it's the right one.

Don't forget clamps.

Interesting that the Y only applies to 86-91. 40467 lists for up to 1985, 40490 appears to be correct for your car. Going to study that a bit and figure out what's different.

Edit after a bit of a re-read, for clarity:
        I originally took this thread to be about going to dual, not sure why I took it that way. Dual = cats, h pipe, mufflers, tails. Single = cats, y pipe, muffler, tail (in that order starting after the exhaust manifolds).
        Y pipe is its own distinct concept, and is not one with the tailpipe. Y before muffler, tail after muffler. Tail includes the hump up over the axle.
        Last edited by kishy; 05-31-2018, 07:55 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Continued thanks to all for the information.........I guess things can only get worse for old car owners, gone are the days of paper parts catalogs, and counter men who actually had spent their lives in the automotive aftermarket. Some years ago I considered going to dual exhaust, but with the continued extra cost I said why do it......I mean the engine was just the plain-Jane 302 with a paltry 150 BHP:-(

Comment

Once the manufacturer stops carrying parts, it's a mixed bag, regardless of who's looking it up or how they're looking it up. Ultimately, parts interchanges come from the manufacturers, so if their info was bad or difficult to interpret, you get crap.

RockAuto is truly great for looking stuff up DIY. Even if you'd rather buy locally, you can get a feel for what applies to what cars and the photos are a great reference. The catalog has its issues, but it's so easy to select another year/make/model combo to cross reference that you can usually work out the bugs.

If you have the Ford part number, and the aftermarket companies appropriately cross-referenced the numbers, you can even search RockAuto by the Ford number and sometimes find the aftermarket replacement. But for exhaust, you're more or less at the mercy of what Walker (and in select cases, one or two others) feels like still making. When all the box stuff is gone, custom-bent will be the only option.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Whatever you do, do not take it to Mienikie(I r reel good speeler!) or Midas. For the love of all you think is sacred, please don't haha. They'll hack it beyond belief. Mom & pop muffler shop is what you'd want to look into. I once made the Midas mistake with my old Ranger and paid over $600 for a cat-back exhaust that was so twisted, filled with booger welds, the wrong muffler and a calf-catcher tail pipe. Lasted roughly two years, they didn't warranty it wanted another $600 to redo it. Yeah, nope. Took it to a local place around me, Keith's Muffler in Westland, MI and for $89 they put the right muffler in there, salvaged the good pipe and replaced the rest of the hack job. Exhaust lasted the last of my tenure with the truck and my brother's after I sold it to him. I've since taken my cars to him for dual exhaust installs and all other exhaust work. They specialize in custom pipe bending and it's all mandrel bends. Look for shops like that if you can..
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This reminds me of the following.......over the years I have had to continually replace exhaust on my Studebaker.......I did it myself, but those were yrs long ago when I was young with a good back!!.....when it came time to replace, I just could not do it.....went to a local Midas, the price quoted me was just off the wall and how they would do it turned me off.....found out a guy in Canada had purchased NOS pipes and mufflers for many models of Studebaker......he worked for some Canadian pipe and muffler manufacturer, he actually got them to copy in SS each of those mufflers and pipes.....I ordered full set with mufflers.....and had my friend put them in at his shop.....yes it took most ot the day to cut out the old and put/fit the new...but man they went in like 99% perfect....yes the cost was about 1k with labor, but those pipes will be good till the world comes to an end......the fellows name is Don Simmonds, lives in Ont.
                Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                Whatever you do, do not take it to Mienikie(I r reel good speeler!) or Midas. For the love of all you think is sacred, please don't haha. They'll hack it beyond belief. Mom & pop muffler shop is what you'd want to look into. I once made the Midas mistake with my old Ranger and paid over $600 for a cat-back exhaust that was so twisted, filled with booger welds, the wrong muffler and a calf-catcher tail pipe. Lasted roughly two years, they didn't warranty it wanted another $600 to redo it. Yeah, nope. Took it to a local place around me, Keith's Muffler in Westland, MI and for $89 they put the right muffler in there, salvaged the good pipe and replaced the rest of the hack job. Exhaust lasted the last of my tenure with the truck and my brother's after I sold it to him. I've since taken my cars to him for dual exhaust installs and all other exhaust work. They specialize in custom pipe bending and it's all mandrel bends. Look for shops like that if you can..

Comment

and Ford gives F!k all for fixing the parts listings.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                  X