Couple window questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple window questions

1. What is this plastic piece? Found it in the bottom of my door.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	clip.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1304520

2. How do i get the master panel out? 88 LTC, I need to check a switch.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	panel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	1304521
    96 MGM
    sigpic
    Cruisin up and down the road...

First take the door handle cup off and the inside door handle off. You MIGHT be able to check the switch with a tester before you do the following. At least try it.
    To get the master electrical switch panel out from the door panel, requires the door panel to come off. You should disconnect the battery first.
    If you have not already done so,take the two screws off from the inside door handle cup. Slide the cup away from the handle. You should see a bolt that attaches from the door panel to the door, unscrew that. Get the door panel removal tool. ( If you do not have one, go to Harbor freight and get one or the plastic set) Find the door panel trees around the panel and pull out with medium force. Careful not to damage door panel. When that is done gently lift panel upward clearing the window ledge. You may or not need to unscrew the mirror adjustment collar around the top of panel. Turning the panel around, you can see the the front of the switch assembly is held on by I think two screws, then slide assembly forward. Assembly is loose from door panel. Be very careful in unscrewing switches from the panel as the screws to the switch panel are fragile from age, may crack or break. When you are done, reassemble the same way. you took it apart. If your door speaker is bad, power door lock actuator bad, now it the time to replace it. Replace any broken/damaged trees. I have those.
    Just to let you know, I have put away in boxes, perfect or near perfect grey door panels. They wont be cheap, but I have them.
    Hope this helps. I have done a few. Take your time, don't force anything.
    If I have missed anything, as I am replying from memory, I am sure someone will add to this advise.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 06-01-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Ah, was hoping to avoid pulling the door panel. i just did that job, twice, to fix the rear window motors. thanks for the info.

Anybody know what that black plastic clip is in the first pic above? It was swimming in the bottom of the rear door... some sort of window stabilizer/guide i'm guessing?? cause that window is more wobbly than the others...
      96 MGM
      sigpic

Comment

Ive been in my Crown Vics doors a bunch of times and nothing is striking my memory with that black plastic piece you found. May be a special lincoln piece.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Maybe the "pad" on the window guide that's flat against the window to keep it from popping out as it's going up?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Remove the nut around the power mirror switch. Carefully pry upward on the panel from the mirror switch end. You can pull the cup around the door handle for some access if you need to give it a shove from below. At that point the master panel will lift up and slide forward to extract. You cannot remove the door panel without doing this first on a Lincoln. There are screws underneath of there that must come out otherwise the door panel gets destroyed in the removal process. The mirror switch stays in place, it has two little plastic push pins that hold it to the inside of the door panel. If you need to remove it, just push down on the mirror switch and they will come loose. The other switches screw to the bottom of the panel but they don't have a whole lot of extra wire. Get the panel out enough to remove the screws and then you've got room to work.

Don't recognize the plastic bit but I feel like I should. It looks like a piece from a rear door panel where the screw next to the ash tray goes, but the driver's door doesn't have that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Remove the nut around the power mirror switch...Get the panel out enough to remove the screws and then you've got room to work
              Does this mean I can possibly get the master panel out without pulling the whole door panel off? that would be sweet

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Don't recognize the plastic bit but I feel like I should. It looks like a piece from a rear door panel where the screw next to the ash tray goes, but the driver's door doesn't have that.
              I think you are right, one of the ashtray screws doesn't engage anything and that plastic piece looks to have broken off underneath that screw hole. Kinda relieved i don't have to take that rear door panel back off, but i wonder why the window has a lot of side play on the leading edge??

thanks for the help everyone i really appreciate it! sorry i don't always reply so quick, i had a head injury and just plumb forget to check the computer sometimes.
              96 MGM
              sigpic

Comment

Absolutely. In fact its required that you pull the switch panel before removing the door panel. The only thing that is hard is getting that nut undone if you've never had it off before. There is a tool, but I've usually made my own "spanner" out of two picks with a 90 degree end and a fair bit of swearing. If you look around the rim of the thing you'll see four little notches where the special or not so special tool goes. I just put them back on finger tight so its easy to remove again in the future.

The rear windows guide in a front and rear channel. If the felt is really bad, the window will slop. It can also be improperly adjusted. Been a little while since I did it, but I think its the rear guide that has an adjustment to get the window running properly. The rear side runs in a sort of track, if whatever it is that slides in the track is busted the window will flop forward. Its probably some rubber or plastic bit that is worn out and letting the window flop around.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X