ATC VS Manual control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATC VS Manual control

So the NOS coffee can I just received D9AZ-19A566-A lists for some trucks and Crown Vics and MGM's (1980)........but with manual a/c control. Since my '86 Tudor 5.0 has ATC will this make a difference?

Is it the full size can or the shorty? Size matters! LOL! WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

The new can is about three inches shorter.......but was for the full size Merc and LTD
      Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      Is it the full size can or the shorty? Size matters! LOL! WagonMan

Comment

ATC uses more vacuum, so you may still have issues with the shorter can, but it should work for the most part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I never use the auto position.......I keep the slide all the way to 60 degrees and use manual fan of low or medium.
          Wonder what would happen if I bi-pass the valve and tap directly off the dash tee for the can and the inside control???

Comment

You need the can for Cruise control at least in some years and to keep the blend doors in the right position when going uphill and or flat out. Put the can in, check the vacuum switch and the hose. I patched mine with epoxy till it stopped rusting out as all the rust prone spots were replaced by the resin.
            I had been stumped, Ivan found my hose to the can had collapsed so there were no leaks but the can was never vacuumed.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

This is a study in elimination .......I replaced the hose from the tree to the can last year.....no change.....I then put in a NOS valve, no change.....so now I will first have my bud pull 20" of vacuum with his hand held vac tool,, then watch the vac scale for one minute......if it reduces more than 5" then the can is deemed to be N/G....according the Ford emission manual.

Comment

epoxy if it is the can. What problem are you chasing?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Dicking around with the gas pedal every time the heater or a/c is on....I know I have a vacuum leak someplace.....just have to eliminate each possible part.
                  Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  epoxy if it is the can. What problem are you chasing?

Comment

Smoke machine. Helped me discover my tubular upper intake was warped.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Make sure all the vacuum lines are actually on the actuators good. My major leaks were with the blend door actuator (the big ass can behind the glove box... just needed to have the line pressed on fully) and 2 of the vent actuators behind the ash tray (same issue). The only car I've ever had to replace a line on was the Lincoln Mark VI I sold to sxcpotatoes. After replacing that line, that AC was ICE cold.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The temperature control system is never not in automatic mode. The only thing you can take in and out of automatic is the fan.

Check the function of that check valve too. NOS has that whole "old" thing in it. It may be NOS NFG.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Continued thanks to all.....btw, how do I check function of the "new" valve, I mean before I bust my balls to get it in....how do I pull vac on it with a "Mity-Mite hand held tool?
                          Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          The temperature control system is never not in automatic mode. The only thing you can take in and out of automatic is the fan.

Check the function of that check valve too. NOS has that whole "old" thing in it. It may be NOS NFG.

Comment

Sly never thought of that....will have to check those lines!!
                            Originally posted by sly View Post
                            Make sure all the vacuum lines are actually on the actuators good. My major leaks were with the blend door actuator (the big ass can behind the glove box... just needed to have the line pressed on fully) and 2 of the vent actuators behind the ash tray (same issue). The only car I've ever had to replace a line on was the Lincoln Mark VI I sold to sxcpotatoes. After replacing that line, that AC was ICE cold.

Comment

Cap off one of the small lines on the check valve. Apply vacuum to the other. If it holds, the check valve is good.

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00130.html
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X