Rear lights modification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear lights modification

In my country each car need to have rear fog lights - this is required by law and without it You can't use legal Your car on the road. Car also need yellow indicator lights. Questions - anyone know how to add rear fog lights without add additional lamp ?I hope that indicators are only about changing bulbs for yellow one..?
    '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

An aftermarket foglight could be mounted below the rear bumper and just activated using a switch.

The turn signal modification is a little more involved. I helped a guy with a ‘95 Grand Marquis, but the later brake light/turn signal feed is ran differently, so someone with a newer wiring diagram would need to post up how the newer cars work.

In his case, I had him use an amber LED bulb in the socket towards the outer edge of the light. The amber LED will show amber despite the red lens. He was able to get the car to pass safety like that, so you do have some options.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

You'll need to add the rear fog. You could convert one of the backup lights to be a red bulb and function as the rear fog if they allow that to be near the center of the car. Also, the tail lights are the blinkers, so you'll need to rewire that and swap in 1998 -2004 Crown Victoria tail light housings with the amber turn signals (some used the red turn signals). There are aftermarket LED tail lights as well that are available for well over 5x the price of just a standard bulb housing. This will involve running 2 additional wires to the rear for the left and right blinkers and changing the multi-function switch (turn signal switch) to that of a Crown Victoria as well. Not entirely sure how much else would need to be added as well, but that's the basic idea.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Heres a thought on something that might work, using a trailer light converter that uses conventional brake/tail lights and splits them into separate brake and tail light for the trailer, or in this case, the 1998 style tail light housing that Sly is referring to.
        http://www.towready.com/products/ele...WaQAda7Dbchog=

https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-1181.../dp/B001GKQZQG

Alex.
        Last edited by GM_Guy; 06-04-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Hm, that might work. It would be cheating a little bit, but who cares if it gets you out of a lot of nonsense with the wiring.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It looks that this converter can help me a lot !! Thank You Guys very much
            '09 Grand Marquis LS - Light Ice Blue / Medium Light Stone, J-mod, dual exhaust with Magnaflow 11224, PI intake, Marty's tune

Comment

Can have one or two rear fogs, their intensity is equal to that of a standard brake light - so essentially just cut a hole (or two) in your plastic bumper cover and install a low-profile (very flat) LED light for a commercial truck and hook it up to the same switch that turns on your front-mounted fog lights (if you have them). Don't forget to wire up an indicator light on the dash, EU laws want that too so people have no excuse for running around with their rear fogs lit up all the time and blinding the fuck out of the people following them. On my last truck I actually had the rear fogs run double-duty as extra brake lights when they were not needed as fogs, not sure if that's legal in your neck of the woods but IMHO the more brake lights you got the better.

The converter for the trailer lights, you'll have to wire that in between the factory harness and the factory lights obviously, for if you don't you'll end up with red lights flashing together with the amber ones which would likely be a no-no per your local laws. The other thing to keep in mind is that some of those converters determine whether to light up the turn signal or the brake light by absence or presence respectively of an input signal on the wire for the opposite side of the vehicle - meaning if it sees voltage on one wire but not the other it lights up the turn signal, but if there is voltage on both wires together it will go for the brake lights instead. Which is fine and dandy, till you put your 4-ways (emergency blinkers) on - that obviously sends voltage down both wires, so the controller translates that as brake lights signal, resulting in the amber lights remaining dark and instead the brake lights start flashing, which may also make your vehicle inspectors unhappy.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
              X