2010 Shift interlock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 Shift interlock question

I've got a 2010 CV with a bad shift interlock solenoid.
    Can I just bypass that thing or does it also function as the brake light switch?

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
    I've got a 2010 CV with a bad shift interlock solenoid.
    Can I just bypass that thing or does it also function as the brake light switch?
    brake light switch powers that. Do you have brake lights?

Comment

Yes! brake lights-no problem. nice and bright.

Comment

The solenoid is actually on the steering column. The only way to bypass it is to remove it. I do not know how to do that though as I've never actually messed with the stupid thing. That said... I have see issues where the brake lights work but the shift solenoid doesn't, but applying 12V to it makes it work. If the brake switch is 3 or 4-wire, the switch contacts for the shift solenoid may be buggered. I have done the job of taking one off and disassembling it and putting it back on, but that was on a Honda. NFC how the Ford version works.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The shift interlock is activated by the LCM. Check fuse 28, 7.5amp in the cabin fusebox, If your left and right brake light work, that won't be it. Note: The center mount stop light is fed directly by a second switch within the boo switch, so it working on its own is not an indication of wether your boo switch is good or bad.

But, red/light green wire from the LCM to the shift interlock. 12volts to activate. You might need to pull the steering wheel in order to remove the interlock solenoid, can't remember. Can look it up later if needed.

Alex.

Comment

I have brakes lights, both of them. And I've had a chance to look at one of these solenoids up close.
            It does look like maybe the solenoid wiring does power the brake light switch, but I'm not sure. I And I'm still not sure if I can still power the brake light switch and bypass the interlock solenoid at the same time.
            I don't care how I bypass it, as long as it no longer works and the car will shift out of park.
            Simply cutting a wire or two would be great!

Comment

Simply unbolt the thing and let it hang inside the column. That will disable the interlock. Since it fails locked, cutting wires won't help.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                Simply unbolt the thing and let it hang inside the column. That will disable the interlock. Since it fails locked, cutting wires won't help.
                That sounds like an easy answer to this.
                I'll be getting into it by the weekend, and let you know how it came out.
                Thanks for the help/suggestions.
                A new one costs $100, and this has to be a budget repair.

Comment

Working...
                X