Considering NYC not too bad???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering NYC not too bad???

So gents.........I traveled to my buds shop where he installed the following:
    New Walker Y pipe
    New Walker muffler
    New Walker tail pipe
    New fuel filter
    Drilled two new holes for the NOS "coffee can" (for 1980 Mercury GM manual a/c) and attached that.
    Charged me $250.00 complete.....out the door.

Happy to see every part of the Walker exhaust system was proudly "Made in the United States of America"!!!!

PS to Sly and Gadget, yes the a/c system was better, not perfect as if I had the original "coffee can", but I would say a 75% improvement!

The old coffee can had a rim of rust completely around the top inside rim of the can.

Good deal. You probably have slight leaks in the system elsewhere. The thermal blower lockout is a typical source of vacuum leak. Adding a little RTV to help fill in the gaps (just a dab on the face of the rubber where the vacuum lines go into - just enough to help the seal, not enough to get into the lines) may help too. Just making sure all the vacuum lines are seated good can also help loads. The last place to check is the vent control switch where all the vacuum lines for the whole system go. Sometimes, that's the source of pain and suffering. I still have a known good one of those if needed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Great deal. Id say.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Sly, about two years ago I pulled out the TBLS and tossed it in the garbage. I "dum-dumed" the end and just let it lay under all the other crap. I will check out the vac lines on the actuators...the blend door and the vent ones behind the ash tray. Thank you for the heads up concerning the control switch, if I need it I will contact you. BTW, how far are you from Kemah, Texas which I was told is a short distance from Galveston??
        Originally posted by sly View Post
        Good deal. You probably have slight leaks in the system elsewhere. The thermal blower lockout is a typical source of vacuum leak. Adding a little RTV to help fill in the gaps (just a dab on the face of the rubber where the vacuum lines go into - just enough to help the seal, not enough to get into the lines) may help too. Just making sure all the vacuum lines are seated good can also help loads. The last place to check is the vent control switch where all the vacuum lines for the whole system go. Sometimes, that's the source of pain and suffering. I still have a known good one of those if needed.

Comment

Thanks Dave, gone are the days of me laying on my back doing any work....can't beat a lift, and like you I thought that $250.00 was more than fair....I mean he had to call his WD for the parts, everyone has a hand in a small profit.....I never expected the price to be like I would order from Rock-Auto. Checked the cats...amazed that after all these years no pine holes or perforation in the pipes.
          Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Great deal. Id say.

Comment

How's the gas tank and straps?
            '79 Continental Town Car
            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Well I have no leaks!!!
              Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              How's the gas tank and straps?

Comment

I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area... about 5 hours drive away from Galveston with good traffic.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

More discoveries.........I wire brushed all the rust from the original coffee can........and there was about an inch and a half of a hairline split on the top rolled lip.......certainly had to be the source of all the vac loss~!!

Comment

that would do it. Mine rusted through all around the crimp.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Going to be pro-active......ordered some POR-15, I will "paint" all known areas on the can known to rust out, at least it will give me some longevity in its effectiveness
                      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      that would do it. Mine rusted through all around the crimp.

Comment

Working...
                      X