random studder 85 Crown vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

random studder 85 Crown vic

My youngest son has been driving our 85 2 dr CV since he rolled and totaled our 2016 Impala last month. He has been complaining that it has been acting up. It will be running great then studder randomly. It isn't predictable. I had it running about 5-10 minutes than it studdered. the did it again maybe 2 -3 minutes later. then again maybe 5 minutes after that.
    She has had a recent oil change, cap, rotor, plugs, and wires are about a year old. It has under 70K. I have run some lucas injector cleaner through it. still nothing. I has been stalling on my son.
    Any ideas what to check or replace?

Thanks
    Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

When it stalls, does it fire right back up or does it take a bit before it wants to start back up?

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Almost sounds like the TFI module may be acting up.
      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Tfi

Comment

She does start right back up. I do have another TFI module I can swap in and see.

Thanks
          Tim
          2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Replace the pickup in the distributor too. Also worth replacing the ECM and fuel pump relays, or at least making sure the connections are good. The wiring over there tends to get pretty craptastic.

Have you ever replaced the timing chain? If not, do that sooner rather than later. Slack in the chain makes them run stupid. These have a plastic cam gear, and when it strips the chain will jump and bend the valves. With mileage that low, its a fair bet it has not been changed but after 33 years the plastic is probably not in good condition.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The timing chain is on my to do list. I put in the good TFI module I had. It seemed to correct it for a while but it went back to the studder.

Tim
              2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

If you happen to have a spare ignition coil hanging around (and you may given your other vehicles in your sig), try swapping that. It's fairly easy, and based on my own personal experience, it can cause exactly what you describe.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Well after a new coil (MSD) new thermostat, housing, upper rad hose. Still is acting up. She runs fine for a few days then acts up again. I am looking at changing the fuel filter. If I ever get some time when I am off work and able to look at her. and my son is off. As the crown vic is the only vehicle we will let him drive right now. My wifes town car is down because some bimbo pulled out in front of him and damaged the pass front. I am going to fix it. but since it is having brake problems. Passenger front brake is locking up and then releasing all of the sudden. I haven't even had time to look at that. I think it is the caliper.

Tim
                  2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

are we sure this is an ignition shudder?......transmission maybe?
                    I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

I was thinking that. Asking my son he says it happens around 35mph. in both OD and Drive. Do the panthers have a lock up converter?

Tim
                      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

yes, but its fully locked in 3 and 4. No clutch. Most of the time "transmission shudder" with an AOD is an engine misfire.

Did you change the pickup? Have you driven the car to see exactly what it does? I find that relying on other people's descriptions of what things do is not always the most reliable.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did drive it to work today. It ran fine to work. That was after my son complained about it after going to walmart. So she was warmed up. On the way home it started to studder. but after I dropped it into 2nd gear for a couple seconds It cleared up. I was doing 30 at the time.

Tim
                          2000 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                          X