Do Town Car mirrors fit a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Town Car mirrors fit a Crown Vic/Grand Marquis

I was just looking at my 99 Grand Marquis in the driveway, and was wondering if by chance Town Car external mirrors fit?

The clear coat is peeling off one of my mirrors and I never really liked the black plastic part of the Grand Marquis mirrors. Plus I think the town car mirrors are bigger.

I doubt they do, but as it may be a while before I get to the junkyard again to try for myself I was wondering if anyone happens to know.
    sigpic

they are the same doors 98+, so it would figure that the mirrors would fit as well. The wiring may be different depending on the year, but I haven't checked that. We'll see if someone else has a clue about it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      they are the same doors 98+, so it would figure that the mirrors would fit as well. The wiring may be different depending on the year, but I haven't checked that. We'll see if someone else has a clue about it.
      Pretty sure the towncar doors are different than the grand marquis/crown vic doors. would be neat if the mirrors do fit. Then you can add dimming mirrors.

Comment

I would definitely like to size them up in a yard to find out. I may do that tomorrow for grins.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I tried. They do not fit, but have similar physical dimensions otherwise. You might be able to drill holes for the mounts and rig up retainers on the inside skin support.

From what I can tell... only the mounting holes are different. CV/GM are studs with nuts on them mounted to the outer skin and the townies are large legs with nutserts in them and bolts through the inner door skin to mount the mirrors.
          Attached Files

Comment

You may also be able to mount the mirror head to the CV/MGM mirror base and run it that way, I didn't check that angle.

Comment

Hummm. Interesting. Thanks for the work and tidbits. The idea is definitely not dead yet. I’ll do some looking and thinking next time I’m at the junkyard.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X