Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Brake

Dear Panthers,
    Declining health has ended my sheepdog trialing so I’m selling the Shooting Brake. Since it’s modified to take dogs and humans long distances to sheepdog trials I first offered it to sheepdoggers, one who replied: asked: “Is there any reason you can think of that it would be bad decision?”

To which I replied: “You asked why it might be a bad decision. If you're a gearhead there's no problem. If, like me, you're not I'd hook you up with my internet gurus. (It's a famous car in some circles.) But. This car has been extensively modified and if you take to the local Ford dealership they'll get in there and say WTF!”

I realized that without GMN (or mechanical expertise) if anything broke the Shooting Brake was too modified for the average driver to fix it or get it fixed.

So it's for sale to those who can. A savvy owner could put a little more work in it for a show car. Or could be a vacation car or a reliable daily driver.

Nineteen years ago, I bought this 1989 Colony Park to get me to sheepdog trials in the United States and Canada. It’d carry five humans in the cabin plus four Border Collies (three in airline crates) in the wayback or with the back seat folded a co-driver and six dogs. Hours and hours of Interstate (20/21 mpg at 75 mph) would end in some pasture in Endoftheworld Wyoming.

If there’s anything worse than breaking down on a West Texas ranch road at four in the morning, it’s breaking down with dogs. I didn’t want it fixed after it broke: I wanted it parts replaced before they might break. Aircraft maintainence. I can’t think of running gear that hasn’t been rebuilt or replaced.

The big wagon was posh but handled like a barge. It got big ceramic brakes, 16 inch wheels, police steering and suspension, limited slip (it reached the top at the 715!) Daniel Stern lighting system. and a brush guard to survive deer collisions. Rain sensing wipers, glare resistant mirrors, back up sensor - it has a programable cabin heat alarm. Category three hitch.

Since I spent hours/days in the car I installed better sound, custom instruments and walnut dashboard. The seats are reupholstered and the passenger seat folds flat into a full size bed. A codriver can nap or the car can be a minimal camper.

Details:
    Reliability:
    1984 Hearse Frame protected against a/c drip
    130 amp 3G alternator
    3 cell radiator
    tranny cooler
    Power steering cooler
    Undershot pully
    roller rockers
    aluminum driveshaft
    limited slip differential
    less than 5000 miles on remanufacturer 302
    less than 1000 milea on remanufactured tranny

Safety:
    big ceramic disc brakes (stops quicker than a new Cadillac).
    ABS
    16 inch lincoln wheels with Yokohoma tires (less than 4000 miles) Nearly
    new full sized spare
    heavy duty sway bars
    new body and engine mounts
    high performance steering box
    heated antiglare mirrors
    Helas fogs
    Daniel Stern headlights and wiring
    driving lights as ditchlights and augmenting the backup lights
    backup sensor
    tailgate window wiper
    rain sensing windshield wipers
    tinted glass

Luxury
    Pioneer dash and front door speakers
    remote entry
    Peugot bucket seats with a sleeper seat
    custom genuine walnut dash w/ New Vintage speedo/tach/gas/oil
    pressure/ammeter, Dakota Digital shift indicator, outside temp gauge,
    programable interior temp gauge/thermostat w/ audible overheating alarm
    electronics limiter
    battery cutoff switch

What’s wrong with it?

During the engine rebuild the #1 cylinder wall got scuffed and it clicks
    for the two minutes it takes to warm up. Expert mechanics stay not to
    worry. I’d feel safe driving it anywhere.
    The (solid) paint is 12 years old.
    A pixel has died on the electronic gear indicator which shows the same
    for P and R
    The engine bay mat and dash cover are ratty.
    It’s been off the frame, derusted and rust prevention. Welded metal, no
    bondo. Two new rust points in rear quarter panels.
    The temp gauge reads too high.
    The remote unlocks the car but you must lock it with the inside switches.
    The lid of the driver side rear seat ashtray won’t stay shut.

Price: Over the years I’ve put 50k in it, 8 for the rebuilt engine and remanned tranny alone. I’m offering it to panthers for $3500

It’s outside Staunton Virginia.

PM me for pics or more info

Donald McCaig

Sorry to hear it Don, hope you stay well. I'm sure somebody here will buy the car as it is well-appointed, and also legendary. The price is a pittance too. If i were closer i'd be knocking on your door. Good luck with sale and best wishes buddy.

Comment

I may have to talk to the wife about this one. But since I bought the Expedition last year, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You said you always wanted this one.

Good luck Donald.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I still do.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Wish I could, but I don't have room, money, or time for it right now.

Comment

How long is it for sale? Like, is there a certain deadline when you need to be rid of it?
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I’ll put it on eBay for $4500 in one month. Donald

Comment

Dear Panthers,

I was reading the Post this morning and a familiar name popped up. I fear this is our fellow Panther dmccaig. In addition to being an exceedingly polite Guy on Internet, he was also a candidate for Most Interesting Man in the World.

"He trained Marines to shoot, taught philosophy to college students and worked as a producer for Murray the K, the influential rock radio DJ. But after settling into a lucrative copywriting position at a Madison Avenue ad agency, Donald McCaig grew restless — and decided to reinvent himself as a farmer and writer..............At the same time, Mr. McCaig established himself as one of America’s leading chroniclers of the rural life, a master stylist whose understated prose — often featured in the NPR program “All Things Considered” — captured his pained search for a lost herd of sheep or the simple pleasures of boiling water and mending fences............Mr. McCaig was 78 when he died Nov. 11 at his home in Highland County, Va., near the town of Williamsville. The cause was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and heart disease, said his wife, Anne McCaig, who became a noted expert on Rambouillet sheep just as Mr. McCaig became an expert on the dogs who watch over them.
                  Writing under various pseudonyms as well as his own name, Mr. McCaig penned a book of poetry, “Last Poems” (1975); crime thrillers such as “The Man Who Made the Devil Glad” (1986); book reviews and other articles for The Washington Post; and an essay collection, “An American Homeplace” (1992), which mixed history and humor in its accounts of sheep dogs, daily chores and — on rare occasions — himself."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.30eaea113494

Comment

That's a bummer. Wonder if there is anything the site can do to his handle, a logo or something on it or maybe a page for those who have passed but who aren't forgotten?
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Sad news mangs.

Especially sad for those of you who got to meet the man in person.

R.I.P. Donald
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sad news. Had the pleasure of meeting Donald a couple of times. Great man he was. RIP.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Damn, that sucks. Rest in peace, mang.
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

oh damn, thats a shame. He was a very cool guy to talk to. I knew he had some health issues though. RIP my good man.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

RIP friend.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X