No announcement yet.

Shooting Brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am sad to hear this. Donald was a great friend to me as well. He bought a lot of parts from me, stopping by with his dogs on his way to the dog trials. I would send him parts without worrying if the check would arrive. One time he called me from the middle of Pennsylvania, he hit a deer and exploded the header panel and lights. I put a header panel on a Greyhound bus and it was delivered to him within 6 hours! R.I.P. Donald! WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

rest in peace Donald. you were valuable to the gmn community, and a good friend.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Oh wow. Met him once in a pizza place here in VA. Knew the Shooting Brake was a nice ride and had a favorable opinion of Donald. Didn’t realize his background. Farewell good sir.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Never met him personally but read all about the wagon and always enjoyed his posts.

My God rest his soul. For those of you who knew him personally, sorry for your loss.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            Sad news. Had the pleasure of meeting Donald a couple of times. Great man he was. RIP.
            This.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sounds like one hell of an interesting and good guy. R.I.P.; hope the car continues to be appreciated by an enthusiast.
              '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
              formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

I knew Donald way long time ago, from the books he wrote about his beloved Border Collies, and I had a couple myself. We met at a club trial where I was working in the pens (where the sheep begin a competitive run), he came down to spot for a few runs (hold them for the competing handler's dog to pick up). He liked my manner with the sheep, and when it came time to rouse up help for his trial in the spring, he contacted me. I was awestruck. He was That Donald, the one whose books I had read, and I was a newbie, virtually, but had a way with sheep. That started my tenure as his regular trial shepherd, a position I held for his remaining years as a trial host, and I regarded him as the treasure he was. He regarded me as well as the one who always came and watched over his flock the one day he wished it could be him but was needed at the other end of the field.

When I saw the Car in our trial forums listed for sale, I did what I could to encourage someone to buy it, he obviously wanted it loved and treasured the way he did, and USED, the way it should be. He offered it here first, and there next, once he knew his days of trialing were over. When that ad was nearing it's end, I emailed him, and said I was sorely tempted to make it mine. I shared my stories about it, how I enjoyed being his designated driver a couple of times, about the time we left Miss Fancy Pants behind at a dinner when she rode in with us and then sought company with another group, missing our departure ("she''ll find a ride..."). Once, he had a great run at a local trial where he made the drive home each night, but he didn't return to run again the next day. We learned he had hit a deer on the way home, and was fine, but wouldn't be able to come back. Whew! Glad he's fine...but, Donald, is the car ok? I cared! When we arrived at trials, seeing his car there was a guarantee that he was in attendance, and that was always a good thing. He wasn't often in the ribbons, but most of us aren't. We do it for our hearts, our love of the dogs and the work. He shared his ups and downs with us, welcomed newbies, answered questions as succinctly as was humanly possible, and gave us more food for thought than I can repay in kind, ever.

He quickly answered my email, said he was glad to hear I was interested, and he was going to make me a "Debbie only deal". I recently passed the age I can take from my 401K no questions asked and I answered SOLD! I picked it up September 18th, my last visit with him, and drove it home. It came with a two page letter describing how to make things work, and his blessing. He was truly glad for me to want and have it. I promised him to use it to make a good few dog journeys and to give people who loved him a chance to remember him for a second when they see it parked out in the field at a trial.

I miss him being here. I am enjoying finding all his threads and reading his posts on others. Thanks for being here for me.

Comment

That one definitely needs a custom operations manual. So many parts are non-stock and modified on it. Did he give you the "cheat sheet" of what parts to order for the brakes and such like that?
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Did he give you the "cheat sheet" of what parts to order for the brakes and such like that?
                    No, just to come here and ask. I think I can find out more from his farm hand who I came to know over the years, he is a friend now. He can tell me who worked on it, more than likely.

Comment

I think it used to live in the glovebox. It had stuff like the belt sizes, what brakes, and basically all the other common service parts that were not for an 89 Colony Park since there was such a laundry list of it. Lincolnmania probably knows more of the details since he had a whole lot more to do with it. I was just by the shop some of the times the car was in for assorted stuff.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome to GMN and glad the vehicle went to a friend.

Care to share some pictures of it? I've only ever seen a couple.
                        '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '82 Cougar GS wagon |'03 Marauder | ' 18 Flex Limited EB
                        formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable), '10 P7B

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about Donald, he was a hell of a nice guy. Glad the car is being appreciated and staying in the family here. Kind of surprised none of our long-time members didn't snatch it up instantly, being the legend it is.

Comment

i built a majority of the car with the help of several forum members over the years.

i was at Donalds home a few times. the last time was 2014 when i visited the cass railroad in west virginia. he was an awesome host whenever i would visit. i spent a few days there just relaxing, and i did some hiking. it was cool to see the dogs working, he would usually give me a demonstration.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                              I'm sorry to hear about Donald, he was a hell of a nice guy. Glad the car is being appreciated and staying in the family here. Kind of surprised none of our long-time members didn't snatch it up instantly, being the legend it is.
                              I just bought my Expedition a year ago. If I hadn't done that, I would have been all over this wagon... even with the miles and dog hair.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X