Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove wagon tailgate or just glass window and mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove wagon tailgate or just glass window and mounts?

Hi Everyone, hopefully this is the right forum subheading for this - but I have been in need of the plastic brackets that attach to the rear tailgate glass on my wagon for years. I found a good one in a junkyard but I can't figure out the best way to remove it...I can either just remove the glass and brackets or I can take the whole tailgate...what is the easiest way to do this in the junkyard?

The lower tailgate pins seem to be pressed in and the window motor and metal arm see to be riveted everywhere...

Thanks for the help!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

There is no easy way to remove either. If the tail gate is damaged and they don't mind you breaking the glass, that would be the easiest way to get those plastic brackets. I have removed just he glass with the brackets attached, but you need to be able to raise and lower the glass to undo everything. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by WagonMan View Post
      There is no easy way to remove either. If the tail gate is damaged and they don't mind you breaking the glass, that would be the easiest way to get those plastic brackets. I have removed just he glass with the brackets attached, but you need to be able to raise and lower the glass to undo everything. WagonMan
      Ok thanks, I would have to bring 12 volt power and hope the motor still works. Even then, isn't it all rivets that I would have to remove? Would I have to bring a cordless drill to the yard? Everything's in pretty good shape, breaking the tailgate window would be no bueno at this yard....
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

No rivets to remove. Lower the window and remove the "up" stops, Remove the rubber seals at the top edges. Undo any tracks or guides. Window will slide left to right enough to slip the guides out of the plastic brackets. You have to play with the height of the window to slip it out of the guides. Its real tight but it is possible, I have done it several times. WagonMan
        89 Colony Park
        90 Colony Park
        70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Working...
        X