PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I ordered the TCI flexplate. TCI sent me a complete set of instructions that suggested opening up the holes to 13/64". When I get the other flexplate it in, I think I might ream out the "Ford Racing" plate to 13/64" and see how it fits; or at the least know how to ream a flexplate out in case the TCI plate doesn't fit either.

I noticed that the TC snout is 10 thousandths larger than the crank shaft recess ID. I will go out on a limb and say that the TC snout is supposed to fit inside the recess? Both TCs have snouts too large for the recess.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I believe that it does.

There is no reason you should have to enbiggen the holes in the flexplate, it ought to just slide right in exactly like a stock piece fits, especially if you're using their converter with their flexplate. Honestly I'd send that POS back and get parts that fit.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

My measurements were off. My Dad said he carefully measured the recess and found that it was 2 thousandths larger than the TC snout. I pulled the flexplate off and bolted the engine and trans back together. The TC rotated freely. So I am cleaning up the flexplate and sending it back. I will request one with another manufacture date.

I think what I may do if the exchanged flexplate still doesnít fit; is I will contact TCI (if they have a customer service number) and tell them to fit the torque converter and flex plate together before shipping it to me. I canít think of any other alternative at the moment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12