No announcement yet.

Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It fits the factory flexplate that came with the donor engine; not smoothly though; I have to jiggle it in order for it to slide onto the studs. I may get the matching TCI flexplate in hopes that it works with the torque converter. I pulled the "Ford Racing" flexplate off to take a better look and I see no numbers on it; ring gear looks like it was replaced at some point. I also noticed when taking the transmission back off the engine that the torque converter snout must have been rubbing the back of the crank. I will remeasure everything and record what numbers I have; I am getting the "3 clunks" when installing the torque converter though; it is pushed back as far as it can go into the trans. Here are the latest pictures

Comment

Observation: it appears that all of the studs (I rotated the crank to see all of the studs) favor the 3o'clock side of the stud hole on the flexplate.

Comment

As a guess I would say the converter is a bit off. I would put $5 that the stock unit would fit the FRP plate. That said you might be right about a TCI plate & a TCI converter.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I retrieved the kickdown cable and bracket, and the gear selector bracket on the side of the transmission, but I failed to take the TC. I didn't think I would use it; live and learn :-/

Comment

yeah, bolt circle is a CH big on the converter.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I ordered the TCI flexplate. TCI sent me a complete set of instructions that suggested opening up the holes to 13/64". When I get the other flexplate it in, I think I might ream out the "Ford Racing" plate to 13/64" and see how it fits; or at the least know how to ream a flexplate out in case the TCI plate doesn't fit either.

Comment

I noticed that the TC snout is 10 thousandths larger than the crank shaft recess ID. I will go out on a limb and say that the TC snout is supposed to fit inside the recess? Both TCs have snouts too large for the recess.

Comment

I believe that it does.

There is no reason you should have to enbiggen the holes in the flexplate, it ought to just slide right in exactly like a stock piece fits, especially if you're using their converter with their flexplate. Honestly I'd send that POS back and get parts that fit.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My measurements were off. My Dad said he carefully measured the recess and found that it was 2 thousandths larger than the TC snout. I pulled the flexplate off and bolted the engine and trans back together. The TC rotated freely. So I am cleaning up the flexplate and sending it back. I will request one with another manufacture date.

Comment

I think what I may do if the exchanged flexplate still doesn’t fit; is I will contact TCI (if they have a customer service number) and tell them to fit the torque converter and flex plate together before shipping it to me. I can’t think of any other alternative at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                      X