Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

When you guys swap out your torque converters, do you have trouble getting them back onto the flexplate; stock or aftermarket? I have a Ford Racing flexplate that isn't matching up to the torque converter studs. I tried matching the TC up to the stock flexplate and it doesn't match either. So I concluded that he TC is off. I was told by the TC manufacturer to ream out the holes in the flexplate. Is this the proper thing to do? My Dad says to return the TC and get another as the studs should match without machining anything.

I've never had a torque converter not fit the flexplate correctly. Agree with your dad, you shouldn't need to mess with the flexplate. If you oversize the holes and its not perfectly centered the crank and the trans may not actually be perfectly in line with each other. That will make for vibration and it'll beat the hell out of the bearings.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What Gadget and Dad said.

Also..
      I am guessing it is an aftermarket converter?

You can check the flexplate by lineing it up with the original converter.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

What’s the part number of your Flexplate? A quick look showed me only a Ford Racing flexplate for coyotes.

Measure from one stud to the other on the opposite side on the torque converter , then check the flexplate. Should be 11.5in IIRC.

Last edited by Tiggie; 06-11-2018, 06:33 PM.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Gadget73: That was my feeling too. My Dad used to hang around his friend's machine shop when he was not working; so when he tells me that something is wrong; I tend to believe him. But, I had to ask anyways.

jaywish: Aftermarket converter; Monster Transmissions to be specific. Unfortunately, the lopo is long gone along with the original AOD. Couldn't keep it around the yard as we were getting complaints. There some parts that I failed to get off of the lopo that I had to go to the JY to get.

Tiggie: I will get the FRPP flexplate number this weekend; perhaps during the work week if I can get out of here at a reasonable time

Comment

Invest in a privacy fence, or a house not located where people complain so much.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Most definitely need to get out of north Jersey. Seems like everybody is like that up here these days. Too many people from the metropolitan area that are not accustomed to living with DIY people; but that culture is dying anyways. :-/

Comment

So, I am attempting to install my AOD onto the back of my engine and have run across a snag. My new torque converter measured out to 11.5" and slid onto the flexplate smoothly, but the holes on the flexplate are shifted a little so that a couple of the torque converter studs are up against the sidewall. There is no play with the torque converter despite getting the "3 clunks" and having 1/4" clearance between the tip of the studs and bell housing flange. I have had people tell me to bore the stud holes in the torque converter out 1/16" and again, my Dad and his machinist buddies are telling me not to do that. Not sure what to do again. I feel that I shouldn't have it tight like that, but I am a little squeamish with boring/reaming holes on things that need to be centered.

Comment

I don't understand what you mean. What sidewall?

Is the converter bottomed out against the flexplate before the engine and trans are all the way mated? It shouldn't be. Normally when the engine and trans are mated, the converter can slide back a small amount from the flexplate. Not enough to get the studs through, but enough to not be hard against the flexplate either. Do you have the aluminum shim plate on the back of the motor? It needs to be there. Is this a stock Ford flexplate or something else? And this isn't an engine from a manual trans vehicle is it? The pilot bearing may interfere with the torque converter if its got one in the end of the crank still.

Comment

Trans and engine are mounted together; no binding; no hassle. I just don't have any play with the torque converter. I has pictures....

Comment

dunno, either the converter stud bolt circle is a CH large, or the flexplate is a CH small. If one is a real Ford part and the other is not, blame the aftermarket item. If both are aftermarket, who knows. You'd need to very accurately measure it to see which is off. Eyeball says the wrongness is probably not over 1/8" center to center.

Comment

TCI converter to Ford Racing flexplate. I'll ask some questions; may need to get the matching TCI flexplate. We'll see......

Comment

Do you have the factory flexplate or converter? That will tell the tale.

Comment

I have the factory flexplate that came with the engine, but the CV AOD and stock converter are long gone. Not sure what transmissions came on a ‘96 F-250.

Comment

see if the stock flexplate fits to the new converter. if it also doesn't fit right, the converter is screwy.

F250 should be an E4OD, but I think the bolt circle on the flexplate is the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X