PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Question Flexplate to AOD Torque Converter

When you guys swap out your torque converters, do you have trouble getting them back onto the flexplate; stock or aftermarket? I have a Ford Racing flexplate that isn't matching up to the torque converter studs. I tried matching the TC up to the stock flexplate and it doesn't match either. So I concluded that he TC is off. I was told by the TC manufacturer to ream out the holes in the flexplate. Is this the proper thing to do? My Dad says to return the TC and get another as the studs should match without machining anything.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've never had a torque converter not fit the flexplate correctly. Agree with your dad, you shouldn't need to mess with the flexplate. If you oversize the holes and its not perfectly centered the crank and the trans may not actually be perfectly in line with each other. That will make for vibration and it'll beat the hell out of the bearings.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

What Gadget and Dad said.

Also..
    I am guessing it is an aftermarket converter?

You can check the flexplate by lineing it up with the original converter.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

What’s the part number of your Flexplate? A quick look showed me only a Ford Racing flexplate for coyotes.

Measure from one stud to the other on the opposite side on the torque converter , then check the flexplate. Should be 11.5in IIRC.

Last edited by Tiggie; 06-11-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Gadget73: That was my feeling too. My Dad used to hang around his friend's machine shop when he was not working; so when he tells me that something is wrong; I tend to believe him. But, I had to ask anyways.

jaywish: Aftermarket converter; Monster Transmissions to be specific. Unfortunately, the lopo is long gone along with the original AOD. Couldn't keep it around the yard as we were getting complaints. There some parts that I failed to get off of the lopo that I had to go to the JY to get.

Tiggie: I will get the FRPP flexplate number this weekend; perhaps during the work week if I can get out of here at a reasonable time

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Invest in a privacy fence, or a house not located where people complain so much.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Most definitely need to get out of north Jersey. Seems like everybody is like that up here these days. Too many people from the metropolitan area that are not accustomed to living with DIY people; but that culture is dying anyways. :-/