No announcement yet.

Big Brake Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The nuts and bolts that needed replaced on my control arms I just went to a hardware store and got. I would take one off, go to the store in another car and get a set, just in case.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The stock ones aren't anything special, probably 3/8-NC if I had to guess. I don't remember if they were square head to jam against a boss or not. For some reason I was thinking the upper ball joints came with those but its been a long time. If they weren't with the uppers, I re-used the originals that were in the spindle.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

looks like baby ltd tie rods

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Uh, the rest of all the parts I ordered arrived today. Now I have to call Summit Racing and order rotors and pads, and see if the guy can possibly work the car in next week sometime.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Looks like I'm going with Amazon again, $58.95 for a pair of front brake rotors (Detroit Axle, same place reman steering box and lower ball joint pair came from, prime shipping) https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-...5%3A2470955011
            and that last set of in-stock Centric posi-quiet or whatever Ceramic pads with hardware $28.01 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 06-21-2018, 03:23 PM.
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              The stock ones aren't anything special, probably 3/8-NC if I had to guess. I don't remember if they were square head to jam against a boss or not. For some reason I was thinking the upper ball joints came with those but its been a long time. If they weren't with the uppers, I re-used the originals that were in the spindle.
              I do see square head bolts with the Upper Ball Joints in the box/bag.

Comment

Should be good then.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, this thing took about a month to go together, and I got it back with a brand new dent up on the driver's door near the body line. Different parts compatibility problems, the upper arms didn't fit the '97 bushing kit bushings on one of the holes (they wiggled), he ended up using longer cab bushings on the passenger side and he had to cut a sleeve from an extra kit I ordered to make up for it. Both dust shields were bad so running without those for now.

It's at the shop getting aligned. The last problem was my dumb ass ordered a '91 LTD steering gear box, with two flats instead of a '98 with 1 because Amazon told me it wouldn't work. I'm done with Amazon's part checker. Everything's getting verified 1st on rock auto from now on even though that was my mistake. Ordered sway bar bushings and end links w/poly squishy bits, may do those myself. There may be a click noise in the front end on certain turn/load, but until it's aligned and sway bar stuff replaced, who knows where the problem is. Pads aren't fully bedded in on the rotors yet.

I had him fix the A/C, replaced the EVAP core and heater core while it was out (3/8 socket added as flow restriction on the heater core inlet) and that's working fine. New front springs leveled the car right TF out. I'll get pics when I get it home. Horn installed from last SF, relay or wiring is the culprit, I will have to get one of those and get it in to see what's up and if the cruise will work then.
                  Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 07-31-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

You'll get some clicky/crunchy/grindy noises if the steering is near full lock and the suspension moves at all (like going over a curb or speed bump). The big brake swap significantly widens your turning radius, so you may be closer to full lock than you're used to at any given time. That might be something to consider re: click noise.

I'd really like to get some more info (photos, part numbers and so on) of what the issue is with the steering box and specifically where the one or two flats are or aren't. I was under the impression the box didn't change 90-97 and therefore there is nothing distinct about 91. This is a problem I may eventually run into.

Edit: after further review of RockAuto's application data for the steering boxes, it would appear I'm wrong, but it's definitely a bit confusing. Looks like 80 (but not 79) through 91 are one steering gear.
                    Last edited by kishy; 07-31-2018, 12:07 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                      You'll get some clicky/crunchy/grindy noises if the steering is near full lock and the suspension moves at all (like going over a curb or speed bump). The big brake swap significantly widens your turning radius, so you may be closer to full lock than you're used to at any given time. That might be something to consider re: click noise.

I'd really like to get some more info (photos, part numbers and so on) of what the issue is with the steering box and specifically where the one or two flats are or aren't. I was under the impression the box didn't change 90-97 and therefore there is nothing distinct about 91. This is a problem I may eventually run into.

Edit: after further review of RockAuto's application data for the steering boxes, it would appear I'm wrong, but it's definitely a bit confusing. Looks like 80 (but not 79) through 91 are one steering gear.
                      The re-man steering gear box I had shipped to my house from a local parts store for my '91 MGM had an '84 Ford part number and 2 flats on the input shaft. The excessively leaky box that came off the car only had 1 flat. However it went together no problem in my case (other than the the sliding portion of the shaft between the gearbox and firewall/steering column being seized, but that's a totally unrelated rust belt problem).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007-07-07_012458_steering_1.gif
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1284356
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wipe some grease on the triangular bit sticking off the lower control arm. Thats the full lock steering stop. When that is dry the front end makes horrible noises at full steering lock if anything flexes. Some grease shuts it up.

Comment

Working...
                        X