Big Brake Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Brake Time

The '91 brake system is at the end of its life, and the front right wheel has some play (I haven't looked at it to see if something just needs tightened up for now).

Also the steering box is leaking/groaning, so it's the perfect time to replace that as well.

I've started ordering parts for the job, and I may have a line on a guy that'll do the job for around $400 labor.

Prime Choice is a really cheap brand, but they seem to be working out well enough on the 2006 Malibu my lady friend is driving. I got a PAIR of '98-'02 hub bearings for $23.82 https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Choice-...ype=automotive

I also got the Energy Suspension bushing kit 4.3150G, they have it listed on Amazon as being for a taxi/cab. But the police/taxi number is 4.3153G (for the black ones), so they should be the right ones or I can send them back. $75.65 https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspen...pension+4.3150
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Looking at the following parts, let me know what you think or if you have other suggestions:

Lifetime Warranty Power steering gear $124.20 https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-...crown+victoria

Same seller/manufacturer Detroit Axle lower ball joints, 10 year warranty https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-...70_&dpSrc=srch

I have a spare upper ball joint (the one we found in the '02 when we got it and had one replaced before finding the part).

Pair of Prime Choice inner tie rod ends for $8 https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Choice-...crown+victoria

I have a choice of $5.85 AC DELCOs https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-46A02...crown+victoria or McQuay-Norris, $16.95 (they only have 2 in stock, they should work for both L and R sides, right?) https://www.amazon.com/McQuay-Norris...crown+victoria

Semi-loaded Centric Calipers L $52.62 https://www.amazon.com/Centric-141-6...=brake+caliper & R $58.00 https://www.amazon.com/Centric-141-6...Agrand+marquis These reman calipers come with "PREMIUM HOUSING & BRACKET" (I'm assuming they mean mounting bracket b/c ordering the bracket separately is like $30+)

Callahan rotors and ceramic pads $101.87 https://www.amazon.com/Phenolic-Pist...70_&dpSrc=srch (looks like I can get $20-30 rotors and $19-28 ceramic pads and save a bit more on Summit)

I was planning on reusing the pitman and idler arm (both have been replaced on the '91 since I got it in '12 or '13). Let me know if this is a bad idea. There's more I haven't linked, and other parts I haven't researched like the hub nuts.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

400 is dirt cheap.

i did a lot of friends suspensions with the cheaper parts......on skippys 90 vic we used the cheapest rock auto steering parts and the person working for me at the time greased the entire new front end with an empty grease gun. found that out about 6 months after he left. we were pumping rusty dust out of the booties and the cheap parts still held up!

check ebay for cheap brake rotors....rock auto is pricey in the shipping dept.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Those lower ball joints look to be the wrong one (79-94). You need the 95-02 lowers to properly mate with the spindles. Moog # is K8685.

(or so the wisdom goes, due to the exact shaping of the ball joint stud - if this is not true someone should please correct me so I can stop buying the newer ball joints when not needed)

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Are u replaceing coil might as well do it while there if yours are shot. Maybe also the coil spring bushing when i did mine a month ago miner were done

Comment

McQuay-Norris is no more IIRC. Meaning you're looking at NOS parts there. Which were probably way overbuilt, and likely US-made. Which is how things should be done.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yeah, I'm going to get new front coils $64.88 https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-45H01...+front+springs (if the picture is to be believed on the ES Bushings website, the 4.3150G bushing kit comes with the front spring isolators http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.3150) , all the shocks on the car have been replaced, and it has rear wagon springs, the front springs are the only ones that haven't been replaced. The '82 I had both fronts and rears replaced and gas-a-just shocks put on, that one's getting police swaybars soon.

Good catch on the lower ball joints, I've been doing so much searching and changing cars in my virtual garage to make sure the parts were going to fit. Here's the Detroit Axle lower ball joints for '02 $24.25 https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Axle-...Agrand+marquis

The $400 is just for front suspension rebuild, probably more for the steering box replacement, and I'll still need an alignment. Pulled the trigger on the OEM McQuay-Norris outer tie rods.
              Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 06-13-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                McQuay-Norris is no more IIRC. Meaning you're looking at NOS parts there. Which were probably way overbuilt, and likely US-made. Which is how things should be done.
                That brand has been among the cheapest parts on RockAuto, where still available, and I've always kind of wondered if they were decent stuff, just being liquidated off for cheapy cheap.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

When I did my big brake swap the whole front end was McQuay-Norris. That was in 2007 and all of it is still on the car.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Uh, these McQuay-Norris have a square jobby at the end and internal threads, and are NOT greaseable. Made in Korea # ES2957 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_145314348[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1284177Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_145317693[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1284178

AFAIK all the other parts are interchangeable, they work for L or R side, but these show only L in the description, I may have to return them, what do you think? I mean, the only tie rod ends I've ever seen in the past are EXTERNALLY threaded, but I haven't done front end work on our cars so I dunno.

Comment

You are correct tie rod ends are normally external thread.
                      Perhaps if you bought all 3 parts in that brand it would work, perhaps better with big flats but the 1 end will not integrate with stock.
                      Last moog part I bought was also Korea.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

My McQuay stuff is greasable.

That number at Rockauto says it fits a 1992 Hyundai Elantra. And yes, Panther TRE are externally threaded. Fox are internal thread, so not completely impossible its for an LTD not a Crown Victoria.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 06-16-2018, 09:03 PM.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Ordered almost all the parts yesterday. The steering box is the last thing coming, dammit, if I knew it was going to be out into July 2 possibly I would have broken down my entire order of $493.08 or so into individual orders, separating the pairs of tie rod ends and even balljoints (where they weren't sold in pairs) to get $1 ebook credits for not having 2-3day prime shipping or whatever.

'91 Steering box $124.20 (Detroit Axle, two flats, previously linked, LLW)
                            '02 LBJs (pair) $24.25 (Detroit Axle 10 yr warranty)
                            '02 Centric Parts 141.61075 Semi Loaded Friction Caliper $55.93 (with bracket)
                            '02 Centric Parts 141.61076 Semi Loaded Friction Caliper $52.62 ditto
                            Centric Parts 150.61090 Brake Hose $14.47
                            Centric Parts 150.61091 Brake Hose $17.58
                            '02 UBJ 2 of Mevotech GK8678 Ball Joint $16.73ea?
                            '91 Adj sleeves 2 of SKP SES2058S Steering Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve $4.12ea
                            '91-'02 ACDelco 45H0150 Professional Front Coil Spring Set $63.79

I plan on ordering the rotors and pads from Summit Racing or Amazon (nothing fancy but I have to get my order above $99 for free shipping, and it has to be in stock, but living so close I can order by 4 or 5pm and have my parts the next day!).
                            Rotors look to be Centric or Raybestos (anybody have a preference between those brands? I could end up with one of each Raybestos and Centric) for $28-33-45
                            Ceramic pads
                            Looks like Summit has PosiQuiet Ceramics for $54.99
                            and Amazon has them for $28.01

Those are a full front kit in both cases, right?

I probably need to find endlinks but I know they and the bushings were replaced when I put the police bar on, can someone remind me what ones I need? It's going to have '91 tie rod ends and sleeves, with '02 U&L ball joints, etc. Probably the '91 b/c it's a '91 bar.

Oh, and I need 2 UCA lock? nuts, and hub nuts if the bearings didn't come with them, I know the size is probably posted. Will have to find that somewhere. What about the bolts and everything for the calipers to the spindles/brackets. Do the replacement calipers come with those, I'm not sure they are in the box I got with the parts I received from a forum member on here. I just opened the box from when I ordered 'em in 2014. >_<
                            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 06-19-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Oh, and pairs of Mevotech Tie rod ends for a '91, greaseable and poly boots $20.38 ea for inners, and $19.14 ea for outers. Also UBJs are Mevotech $16.73 ea

Comment

Working...
                              X