No announcement yet.

Washer fluid reservoir on California box mass air cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some Pick-n-Pull yards over there that have some '90-'91 cars in inventory. Couldn't find any GMs.

Another alternative (how I found mine) is to search car-part.com for parts specific to box panthers and then sort the results according to year. Then give the yard a call with the stock number to see if the reservoir is still available. Most places don't list it as an available part. I got mine from a place called Steelhead Recyclers. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a car with pictures and you can verify that it was at least installed when it arrived at the yard.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

The fender brace uses the mount JUST in front of the rear most mount for this reservoir.

Looks like it would not fit without altering/clearancing the plastic mount on the tank.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        The fender brace uses the mount JUST in front of the rear most mount for this reservoir.

Looks like it would not fit without altering/clearancing the plastic mount on the tank.
        The rear eye on this one mounts using the same hole as the '90 TC bottle I was using before. Did you mount your bottle differently to make the brace work?
        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

After some googling, I came across an engine bay picture from a 1990 CP, and it looks like the wagons didn't get mass air for whatever reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	43608269015.476304928.IM1.16.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	1284925
          —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
            The rear eye on this one mounts using the same hole as the '90 TC bottle I was using before. Did you mount your bottle differently to make the brace work?

I cannot say I mounted it in a way to make the brace work as I mounted it flush against the curvature of the inner fender arch and never thought anything of it.

As you can see mine mounts WAY lower on the fender.

Also some gross pics from back in the day here: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post462936

Last edited by 87gtVIC; 12-11-2018, 04:02 PM.
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Is your's shorter? What car did you pull it from?

I think a possible option if you wanted to run this bottle would be to fabricate your own fender brace that would work around the bottle. It is just a piece of tubing with pressed ends.
              —John

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                Is your's shorter? What car did you pull it from?

I think a possible option if you wanted to run this bottle would be to fabricate your own fender brace that would work around the bottle. It is just a piece of tubing with pressed ends.
                I think it is in fact shorter. I think mine was pulled from a 93 vic... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post463327

I am still planing on getting one and then seeing how to proceed with the fender brace.
                ~David~

Comment

Once all this holiday shit is over with and i finish all my sidework I can go in search of some cali-boxes. If there's anything specific i need to know shout it out. I'll take a look underhood when i leave this morning to see what mine looks like. Haven't seen a lot of '90-'91s around in the local yards but there IS an all-ford auto dismantler not too far from here i can check out.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    Once all this holiday shit is over with and i finish all my sidework I can go in search of some cali-boxes. If there's anything specific i need to know shout it out. I'll take a look underhood when i leave this morning to see what mine looks like. Haven't seen a lot of '90-'91s around in the local yards but there IS an all-ford auto dismantler not too far from here i can check out.
                    From what I've gathered, '90-'91 sedan CVs and GMs with California emissions got mass air, a fan shroud and overflow bottle similar to the '90 TC, and their own specific windshield washer fluid reservoir. Wagons got the standard box panther air box setup without mass air. The links I posted above are from northern Cali and the Fresno area, I think. Not sure if there is anything down where you're at.
                    —John

Comment

I think it is in fact shorter. I think mine was pulled from a 93 vic... http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post463327

I am still planing on getting one and then seeing how to proceed with the fender brace.

So I happened upon a 1990 grand marquis with mass air today in San Bernardino. The puter was stolen and so was its maf sensor....what was left behind was the washer fluid reservoir. It was damaged and the part that is missing was nowhere to be found...part number F0AU-17618-AB. It would indeed interfere with the fender braces. If it was undamaged I would have snagged it though for the hell of it...when the hell do you see these things...hens teeth i say.
                      ~David~

Comment

87gtVIC, so you are in San Bernardino now ? I am in Woodland Hills (LA) now. Hot, nasty, smoggy. Fires have already started. How long will you be there ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          87gtVIC, so you are in San Bernardino now ? I am in Woodland Hills (LA) now. Hot, nasty, smoggy. Fires have already started. How long will you be there ?
                          I am in Burbank till the 14. Fly out the 15. Weekend was open but today I worked from 6:30 am to 7pm. BUSY.
                          ~David~

Comment

I'll be damned, what's everyone doing in california? I don't even want to be here....

Comment

The answer is probably a California wagon.

Comment

Trying to upload my pics again...

The 1990 MAF Grand Marquis is found:

And my car for reference:

It definitely would not fit with the wagon fender braces.
                                Attached Files
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X