No announcement yet.

Washer fluid reservoir on California box mass air cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why only wagons is the question I always wanted answered too. I don't think the police cars got them either.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Why only wagons is the question I always wanted answered too. I don't think the police cars got them either.
      What’s the whole point of the brace anyway. I’m curious since mine never came with one and on where do y’all get them from

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
        What’s the whole point of the brace anyway. I’m curious since mine never came with one and on where do y’all get them from
        Wagons only.

It gives the front of the car another "tie" point between the fenders and the radiator core support.

The core support is only held in with two body mount bolts and maybe 6 bolts per side to the corresponding fenders.

Does it actually do anything though? Dont know but I have them on just because it does not hurt running it.

Honestly you can easily make this yourself with some round tubing and a vice.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

Does it actually do anything though?
          Yes. Put them on my coupe, haven't done anything else to the damn thing and it's a bit tighter on turns.

Comment

GM vehicles had an X brace across the radiator area for the same purpose. It was basically just 1/4" rod, nothing particularly magical. Likely could do that on a box and get some value.

The basic construction of these cars is pretty flimsy really. Ever notice how the doors don't always play nice when its on jack stands? Tying stuff together at a right angle without a gusset (angle) brace does not lend itself to much rigidity, and the frames on these cars are constructed exactly that way. Many of them don't even have the extra ties across the front and rear end of the frame rails. Lincolns do, not sure what else got them. Cars without the diagonal bars from the engine crossmember back to the frame benefit from adding those for the same reason. I suspect handling gains could be made by creating an X brace under the car either in addition to or in place of the stock transmission crossmember too.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wagons only.

It gives the front of the car another "tie" point between the fenders and the radiator core support.

The core support is only held in with two body mount bolts and maybe 6 bolts per side to the corresponding fenders.

Does it actually do anything though? Dont know but I have them on just because it does not hurt running it.

Honestly you can easily make this yourself with some round tubing and a vice.
              So they only come on wagons guess i got to go get the

Comment

Wagons seem to have had a few of those "But why?" things going on. Never could figure out why Ford made their tire pressure 26 PSI front and 35 PSI rear. That said, I run 35 in all corners. 26 is incredibly mushy.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'll be gluing the cracks in the mounting holes today or tomorrow and will probably get it cleaned up and installed before the weekend. Pictures will be taken.
                  —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                  1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                  1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                  1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

What ended up happening?
                    ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The K-code cars have extra braces welded to the radiator supports too. Never really thought they were needed. WagonMan
                      89 Colony Park
                      90 Colony Park
                      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

What ended up happening?
                        Funny story, actually.

I haven't installed it yet.

Been busy after work with school work these days. I have a couple weeks off starting about a week from now and I'll get it installed!
                        —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)

Comment

I installed it tonight and will take pictures tomorrow (too dark right now). It fits like a glove. 10/10, would recommend. I need to swing by a local yard tomorrow to grab an additional screw, though. There is a pre-drilled hole that lines up perfectly with the forward mounting eye, but I need the extra screw to use it.
                          —John

Comment

The suspense. I will want one if it definitely does not interfere with the wagon fender braces. The ill fitting reservoir was ALWAYS bothering me.
                            ~David~

Comment

I seemed to recall I had the extra screw I needed from when I pulled the '90 TC bottle I had been using, so I got to searching my incredibly disorganized fastener box.

I found the screw I needed and finished the install. Sorry about the poor quality pictures. It was already getting dark and I had to use flash.

You'll notice the reservoir has a nifty notch molded into it that is designed to hold the supply hose. It uses the same low-level sensor as the aero cars. There are two holes that line up perfectly to mount it. It's obvious that it was made for the car.

Final verdict: $65 well-spent.
                              —John

Comment

Nice, fits perfect.

Some of the newer bottles have the notch for the washer fluid line and some don't, kind of like some have low fluid level sensors and some don't. Also, for the ones eith the fluid level sensor the electrical connector changed 2 or 3 times. I don't remember what years had what, but I know a ran across each configuration when looking for a new bottle earlier this year. Unfortunately no California MAF box CV/MGM in any of the Detroit yards (hey, it could happen ).
                                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                                X