bigger, big brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bigger, big brakes

several guys on MM.net figured out how to run 14" Mustang rotors on the newer panther chassis spindles.

Basically, you need to have the 98-2002 big brakes already on your car.
    all you do is buy a machined adapter that allows Corvette C5 front calipers and brackets to bolt to the spindle along with a 14" rotor from a mustang GT500. Marty at MO's speed shop keeps the adpaters in stock.

THIS WILL REQUIRE 18" WHEELS OR LARGER

here is the original post on MM.net with the parts list --> https://www.mercurymarauder.net/foru...ad.php?t=94024
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Aren’t these for the 03+ cars only?

I remember these. And I am willing to bet something can be made similar for 98-02 brakes using the same principle.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
      Aren’t these for the 03+ cars only?
      Yes, I have '05 calipers and brackets and they do not mount to the "big brake" spindles we can use on the boxes.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
        Yes, I have '05 calipers and brackets and they do not mount to the "big brake" spindles we can use on the boxes.

I was under the impression it worked, but havent eyeballed anything in person.

when you say the calipers dont mount... how do you mean?

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Is the front suspension for a Marauder any different than a Grand Marquis? If not, I would love to upgrade the brakes on my '05 MGM. That is the only thing that I absolutely hate about that car.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
            Is the front suspension for a Marauder any different than a Grand Marquis? If not, I would love to upgrade the brakes on my '05 MGM. That is the only thing that I absolutely hate about that car.
            suspension and brakes are the same.

Comment

That kit is for the 03 and up panthers only i think. If someone would make custom brackets for the 98-02 that would be cool. Maybe we could ask adtr if he could design something up.

Comment

The holes for the brackets don't match up.
                Blue one belongs to '02, plain one is '05

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

The holes for the brackets don't match up.
                  Blue one belongs to '02, plain one is '05

But wouldn’t the hole need to match up to the bigger or newer calipers and not the 05 ones. On the 03 plus/ marauder upgrade they use the corvette calipers. So it would need adapter from the 98-02 to the corvette calipers brakets
                  Last edited by Elias; 06-13-2018, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                    But wouldn’t the hole need to match up to the bigger or newer calipers and not the 05 ones. On the 03 plus/ marauder upgrade they use the corvette calipers
                    The kit uses adapters to put the Corvette caliper on the '03+ spindle, you would need adapters for the adapters

Comment

The spacing difference is fairly small, possible the adapters could be fabricated with the proper spacing. Not sure you'd be able to modify them, it would end up with one oblong hole but it would be a relatively minor production change to make versions with different bolt spacing.

It would probably be worth trying to mock it up, even if it only had one bolt in there temporarily, just to see if anything else would need to be changed in order to make it fit. Possibly the distance from the spindle mount point to the centerline of the rotor is not the same.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The kit uses adapters to put the Corvette caliper on the '03+ spindle, you would need adapters for the adapters
                        Why would u need a adapter for the adapter. What im saying is we start with a 98-02 spindle and from there make a adapter that mount directly to the vet calipers i see no need in trying to use a adapter for a adapter. I would think it might make it weaker at the mounting points

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
                          What im saying is we start with a 98-02 spindle and from there make a adapter that mount directly to the vet calipers i see no need in trying to use a adapter for a adapter.
                          So, get custom adapters. The thing about this kit is that it was for 2003+ so there are no readily available parts for 2002-.

Comment

I have been able to confirm with Marty at MO's speed shop, he has had brackets made to bolt the corvette calipers to the 98-2002 crown vic/grandmarquis spindles. So far the brackets have been successfully test fit on a set of spindles, but a full install has not been completed yet.

I have asked marty to send me pricing details and pictures.

Comment

WHY must you TEMPT me with this right as I'm parts-collecting for my Big Brake upgrade!?!? I think I remember this being mentioned in another thread and I got excited and was told there was no way to bolt the stuff to the '94 or '02 spindles (is there any difference between them?). Keep us updated on costs asap, please.
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X