A/C Vacuum leak help request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kishy View Post
    Manual is a bit of a job...not immediately possible without some serious hackery. I'm reasonably sure that the entire upper half of the ducting assembly is different between them to accommodate the cable having to operate the blend door in the opposite direction. I think.

If you want to seasonally set it to full cold, you could just put full vacuum directly to the blend door actuator. That'll work. Buys you time to fix it properly later.

Stashing a second sensor inside the dash would work to get you up and running, if you can even find one of the things. It would not work accurately though, as it is dependent on airflow through it, through that little hole below the dash pad above the glovebox, which gets pulled through the sensor by "gentle vacuum" from the blower motor via a tube.

Dashpad removal isn't actually that hard, but I understand concerns about damaging it might keep you away from that idea.
    Thanks. I wondered what that tube was for. Darn complicated system.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      Hooking it to full vacuum will make it cold, but you'd need to pull and plug it for heat. People do this when that sensor gives up, and since they have gone obsolete I can't say I don't understand.
      Ok. Now I have the full picture. The hot and cold lever moves the ambient air sensor which wasn't apparent to me at first.

Comment

right, the lever adjusts tension on a spring inside that gizmo. Its a variable vacuum regulator that is heat sensitive. Its the BS you got in the pre-electronic era. The later electronically driven blend door is a much more accurate system, though the setup they hacked into the panther cars is not the most durable. Little plastic gears break and make the whole thing stop working. Basically they took that 1979 HVAC and slapped a small electric motor in there to "update" it without really re-designing it.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks gadget73.

Final question.

Removed dash pad which wasn't too bad but it looked as though that one needs to remove front of dash to get to screws holding the ambient cabin temp sensor so I gave up. The vacuum gauge connected to big diverter actuator lays in my glove box which is interim fix for now.

I recall pictures of a project where someone had sawed a new hole and put in an ambient air temp sensor. Anyone remember that post and has the link? I would be grateful.

Comment

Don't recall removing the front dash trim but its been a long time. I want to say it has two studs that the sensor mounts on and you just remove the nuts from the back side. If not, that panel is just attached with spring clips so it will pop right off.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah... remove the nuts/screws from the windshield side of the sensor. Comes right out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by jrhende6 View Post
                Thanks gadget73.

Final question.

Removed dash pad which wasn't too bad but it looked as though that one needs to remove front of dash to get to screws holding the ambient cabin temp sensor so I gave up. The vacuum gauge connected to big diverter actuator lays in my glove box which is interim fix for now.

I recall pictures of a project where someone had sawed a new hole and put in an ambient air temp sensor. Anyone remember that post and has the link? I would be grateful.
                This one any help?

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...uipped-vehicle
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

betting thats what he was looking at thinking the front panel had to come off or relocate the sensor.

Comment

Working...
                  X