No announcement yet.

Kishy's Pile o' Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As for the 85-mph speedometer, that came into being through another piece of legislation. On Sept. 1, 1979, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration added a provision into a regulation focusing on speedometer accuracy to place an emphasis on the 55-mph mark, and for a maximum speed reading of 85 mph. Though the 85-mph mandate only lasted until the first months of President Ronald Reagan’s first term in the White House in 1981, most manufacturers kept the reading at the bottom right of their speedometers until the vehicles were redesigned years later.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Ah, thanks for the actual info Frankie!

Didn't automakers have to pay a fee if they wanted their speedo to read above 85? Also, that ended in 1981? Guessing it took several years depending on location to return areas to above 55. I think Hagar's tune came out around '84 or so.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah, I think Sammy's song was back in '84 off his VOA album. In September 1979, the National Highway Transportation Safety Agency (NHTSA) creates a rule to limit speedometers to 85 mph. Due to the energy crisis, the national speed limit in the USA was lowered to 55 mph to foster better fuel efficiency (and theoretically reduce traffic deaths at the same time). The rule on limiting the top indication on speedometers also was made along this line of thinking.

The Reagan Administration repealed this rule roughly two years later, but this was too late for the 1982 model year. Furthermore, some manufacturers had already designed cars for future model years or had excess inventory of 85-mph speedometers and parts, so this quirk was carried through during much of the 1980s and even into the 1990s for some vehicles.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

For some reason i can't send you a private message can you please send me one

Comment

Bump.
            Some items here have been sold (I think all my clock delete plates and SEFI intake plastic thingies are gone, maybe), but many others remain, particularly the instrument clusters.

I will be moving in mid September to a new property with a smaller garage. I will be significantly cutting down my stash of "probably not ever going to be useful" parts. The clusters will most likely all hit a dumpster after I gut them of some parts - for example the temperature gauges, which are a failure item on the 90-91(and to 94 for Merc/Linc analog) clusters.

Accordingly, free, just pay shipping and my other associated costs e.g. if I make a trip across the border to ship from within the US, pay my tolls for the border.

Current driver: Ranger
            Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
            | 88 TC | 91 GM
            Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
            Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
            X