AOD governor confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD governor confusion

I did the HO swap a few years ago. I quickly found that I really needed to do the HO governor swap. Unfortunately I was not able to easily find one. Eventually I ran across a medium speed E2AZ-7C063-B truck governor on ebay and put it in. It helped a lot but still not enough.

I finally managed to find the un-find-able... the E8ZZ-7C063-A governor. Bought off E-bay for about $40. I tore down to put it in last weekend. But I put both governors side by side and they are exactly the same. According to the photo below, the recess in the little piston should be a different diameter. They both measured exactly .262 inch.

I also found an old forum post saying the HO governor has a yellow spring. The new one I bought certainly does. But looking closely at the one I've been using, it still has a tiny bit of yellow paint on the spring.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with this? If I got hosed on this part I may try and return it.
    Attached Files

Do the governor bodies have part numbers cast into them, or is it just found on the box itself?

Not sure about the hole sizes, but the weight of the piston should be different, and/or the spring should be different. The heavier the weight is, the sooner it will shift. The softer the spring is, also the sooner it will shift. I expect you could shim the spring to extend the shift points out some but it would be a lot of trial and error fucking about to get it just so I expect.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you cannot get things sorted out I have this installed in my car: https://ford-aod.com/shop/gov-kit-aod-hirev-79-93/

I recommend it.I installed that into my stock governor.

install back from 2016

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post775133
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Do the governor bodies have part numbers cast into them, or is it just found on the box itself?
        They do have numbers, but it's not the part number of the full assembly. I suspect it's just the number of the cast body. Pretty sure they were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          If you cannot get things sorted out I have this installed in my car: https://ford-aod.com/shop/gov-kit-aod-hirev-79-93/
          So you like the way it drives with that? Part throttle shifting is good?

From your install photos, I see that there was some work on the valve body... those parts also came in the same Transgo kit?

Comment

Originally posted by pollock View Post
            So you like the way it drives with that? Part throttle shifting is good?

From your install photos, I see that there was some work on the valve body... those parts also came in the same Transgo kit?
            Part throttle shifting is fine to me. Does not rev out high unless WOT.

There are some springs to swap in the valve body and it is part of that kit.

I was looking for a kit to up the WOT shift point to make use of my higher rpm power. This definitely raised the shift point when compared to the stock bits.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

tHOUGHT THE valve was only part of the governor was only of the assembly. the part it bolts to that slides on the shaft is also needed.
              http://www.monstertransmission.com/A...l#.Wy-8ps2LrIU
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Thats the complete part, but every trans has the piece that sits on the shaft already. To change the shift point, you only need to change the valve.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just put a silverfox vb in mine. And kept the stock governor. The WOT shift points were controlledby that. So I never messed with the governor.

Comment

Working...
                  X