Temperature gauge needle erratically moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature gauge needle erratically moving

Not sure if this belongs in this forum or the electrical. But my temp needle moves erratically from between the R to the M and sometimes A of the gauge. Any ideas?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

On what?

First guess, dirty connection at the temperature sender, but without a clue what you own I don't know where precisely that part is. Also not impossible the sender is just bad.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

1990 grand marquis. Sensor is on the lower manifold.

Comment

So aftermarket gauge. Check the connections for the gauge and the signal wire on the sensor. The sensor is probably a bolt type with two nuts that you snug a ring terminal between. If there's only one nut, it'll pull the bolt out and break the sensor by tightening one nut down on the ring terminal against the sensor body. I learned that the hard way.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Actually its the stock in dash gauge. I do have a spare aftermarket gauge but id have to buy a new thermostat housing to be able to tap that in. Previous owner stripped the original sensor

Comment

90 is the "new" dash.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I didn't think the 90/91 cluster had a temp gauge.

In that case... the connector on the back of the cluster may be loose... or any other connector between that and the sensor.

Also, check the ground block with all the quick connects going to it under the dash by the steering shaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

This would be what my temp gauge looks like

Comment

It's been a few years since I've been inside one of these clusters. IIRC, there are three legs for this gauge that need to push all the way in to make contact with the connectors int he back of the cluster. If someone has been in there to replace odometer gears it could be possible they didn't get the gauge pushed in all the way. Although I would think if that was the case it would swing to full C or full H, unless it catches itself before it has a chance to move to either extreme.

Gadget's suggestions are more likely, but if both of his suggestions are not the cause it a may be worth considering ensuring the gauge is fully seated in the cluster.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-26-2018, 11:34 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ill double check under the hood for the connection on the sensor. And ill also crawl under the dash and see if anything is loose in there. Thanks guys. Just weird how it does it towards the hot side and even shows hot. Weird since ive replaced pretty much everything.

Comment

is it actually running hot? Thermostats stick sometimes.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

New 195° thermostat. New water pump/timing cover. New radiator cap.

Comment

Did the temp problem start when you changed the tstat or was that in response to the gauge?
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I changed it because i thought the thermostat was sticking.

Comment

Because of how the gauge is acting?
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Working...
                              X