No announcement yet.

Temperature gauge needle erratically moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yupp. It would get to between the A and L of the gauge. 'Normal' temp from how its always ran is between the O and R. So when it started gling towards the hot side, i knew something is off

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Fan clutch? When my car was acting funny it was the fan clutch. WagonMan
      89 Colony Park
      90 Colony Park
      70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

I say stick your aftermarket gauge temporarily to see what’s up. Put the sensor in the original sensor spot, and stick the gauge in a temporary spot visible from the driver seat.

If it’s steady, we know it’s your gauge, sensor, or wiring. If the aftermarket is not steady, we can look into your cooling system.

I have a 95 Ranger that had funky temp readings. It changed very jerkily from cool normal to mid normal range. It was the sender.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have experienced actual electrical failure of the 90-94 (90-91 Mercury for the silver face) in-cluster temp gauge, however in my case it was pegged to the left. Sender checked out, wire checked out, so I swapped that gauge module out of a junkyard cluster and presto, it worked.

I believe I have literally a pile of these clusters on hand, so if your testing determines the gauge is the problem, I may be able to hook you up.

Also there's an easier way to narrow things down. Get engine to the temp where the gauge is fluctuating. Unplug the wire from the sender. Measure resistance with a multimeter of the sender, between the terminal post on it and the base of it (or intake manifold or other ground). If the resistance reading stays steady and doesn't bounce in the way your gauge is doing, the sender is OK. It could even be a high resistance or loose connection between the wire terminal and the stud on the sender.

Sly, I think that ground block went byebye after 1989, but I'm not completely sure on that. I just know I've never found it in my 91.
          Last edited by kishy; 06-27-2018, 09:19 AM.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

What Wagonman said

Get assistant. Get car to full operating temp. With motor running stare at fan. Have assistant shut off engine. Fan should stop spinning within a second iirc
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Ok ill check that. And i checked the connection going to the sensor and its on pretty tight

Comment

Originally posted by kishy View Post
                I have experienced actual electrical failure of the 90-94 (90-91 Mercury for the silver face) in-cluster temp gauge, however in my case it was pegged to the left. Sender checked out, wire checked out, so I swapped that gauge module out of a junkyard cluster and presto, it worked.

I believe I have literally a pile of these clusters on hand, so if your testing determines the gauge is the problem, I may be able to hook you up.

Also there's an easier way to narrow things down. Get engine to the temp where the gauge is fluctuating. Unplug the wire from the sender. Measure resistance with a multimeter of the sender, between the terminal post on it and the base of it (or intake manifold or other ground). If the resistance reading stays steady and doesn't bounce in the way your gauge is doing, the sender is OK. It could even be a high resistance or loose connection between the wire terminal and the stud on the sender.

Sly, I think that ground block went byebye after 1989, but I'm not completely sure on that. I just know I've never found it in my 91.
                My speedo and odo stopped working so i might be getting a cluster from you soon.

Comment

I maybe the grounds were all consolidated to the ring terminals mounted to the driver side body behind the kick panel with the dash change. I know that's where the majority of the grounds are on my 93... behind the kick panels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok so strangest thing just happened. Was leaving the hospital on my way home which is less than 10 min away. I punched it to catch a light and my temp was all the way to the A on the gauge. Now i know thats not normal because theres no way it can heat up that fast. Now when i let it off the gas and slowed down a bit it went quickly to the O then went to the middle when i gave it a little gas. Then all the way to A until i got home. Im thinking its a bad sensor.

Comment

You should be able to use an ohm meter and check the sensor if you happen to have the resistance values it should be at between hot and cold.

Ford didn't change their function much considering I have a 1990 police speedometer with the silver face Mercury temperature and fuel gauges in my '97. I've not had any issues with my gauges, and the gauge has been reasonably accurate.

My Cars:
                      -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                      -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                      -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                      -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Check your charging voltage when engine is idling and when revving it. If your regulator is flaky causing voltage to shoot all over the place, resistance based gauges can be inconsistent, changing with engine rpm.
                        Last edited by kishy; 06-28-2018, 07:26 AM.

Current driver: wagon
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

At 2400 rpm at 3rd gear was constantly going from N to the L then back to N. in OD was in the middle at 2500 rpms. I dont think rpms have to do with it

Comment

So today when i parked at the hospital i heard hissing from under the hood. Popped it open and it hissing around the radiator cap area. The cap is new so my radiator might have a small crack

Comment

Problem solved. Pin hole sized cracks on top of the transmission cooler lines. Now my temp is down. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys.

Comment

So the gauge was telling the truth and the car was running hot?
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X