relocated battery problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

relocated battery problems

i put the battery in the rear of my wagon due to rusted out hold down now when the car gets to opt temps after driving its hard to restart it cranks over but wont fire up when it gets to 160 or less it fires right up.i also replaced ect act

got starter relay next to battery 0 gauge from battery to relay then from other side of relay 0 gauge to starter.0 gauge grounded to chassis
    up front have terminal block 0 gauge from alt then 0 gauge to rear.starter is new relay is new just cant figure this hot restart.
    Attached Files

Sounds more like ignition issue. I'd look toward TFI module. I've never had a TFI problem but my brother's mustang used to be shitty when warm but once cooled down it'd fire right up. Changed TFI and problem solved. Sounds similar, although his car would actually die when it got hot.

Comment

Check the throttle body for carbon buildup. You could also try starting it with just a pinky toe of pedal input and see if it'll light off. Might indicate timing or idle issue. Might just need to clean the TB and IAC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Did you run the ECM ground all the way back to the battery? If not, do that. Its the thin wire on the funny looking plug that went to the - terminal on the battery. it does not work correctly without that connected direct to the battery terminal.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i ran ECM ground all the way back to the battery still wont start up when hot.car started fine hot when battery was up front im lost on this any more suggestions

Comment

Is the ground at the rear of the lower intake still connected?

honestly don't know why moving the battery would have any effect if the ECM ground to the battery is connected and the wiring is in good shape. If its got enough snot to spin the motor over, that should be all it needs.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

hot no start makes me think coil or ignition module. But it could also be no coolant on the ECT due to an air pocket and getting bad readings and thus bad fueling. I know my 93 didn't like to start hot when the ECT died non-short, but stayed at one resistance setting indicating about 60F to the PCM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X