1986 Mercury Grand Marquis Tudor in Waco, TX - $1400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I firmly believe that if you are trying to sell anything within an ad/internet forum etc.. that you should try real damn hard to make everything clear as possible and NOT give potential buyers any reasons to think negatively of you. Your ad is the ONLY thing potential buyers know of you at this point and if you make really blatant errors within your ad they may not even bother contacting you.
    I agree, but my experience is that the less I put in my ad, the more interest I get. I'm torn when it comes to selling stuff. Maybe if the price point of what I was selling was higher? But it always seems I sell stuff for sub $2k and thus the people who call don't/can't read all that well and what little interest I do get, they often ask questions already answered by the ad. Me: "Vehicle runs & drives" (posted at top of ad) Them when they call: "Does it run?"
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yes, it runs like a 'raped ape.' "Does it drive?" Only as well as you drive it.* *May contain the glue-sniffing faeries from Tommy Boy that knock up your daughter.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        I agree, but my experience is that the less I put in my ad, the more interest I get. I'm torn when it comes to selling stuff. Maybe if the price point of what I was selling was higher? But it always seems I sell stuff for sub $2k and thus the people who call don't/can't read all that well and what little interest I do get, they often ask questions already answered by the ad. Me: "Vehicle runs & drives" (posted at top of ad) Them when they call: "Does it run?"
        I put the price high enough to scare off the bargain hunters, price grinders, the uneducated, homeless, demo derby types and people who want parts for their cars. If someone who appreciates the car or item knows what it is and it's worth, we can have an intelligent conversation. I might cut a good deal or I might tell them not to waste my time. In other words, I know what the item is worth to me, what the market is, my need to move it and if it will go to a good home.
        I just sold my pool table a couple of days ago. Priced not cheap but right. Guy bought it for his son's birthday. Son helped Dad load it thinking he was helping pick up a washing machine. When he saw it was a pool table, the joy was incredible.
        My '75 Ford is up for sale. It has been up for sale for awhile. When I sell it, I am sure it will go to someone who appreciates that car. Price is high enough to scare away the above mentioned people. A decent deal for the serious. If someone tries to grind me down on the price, sure I will come down but they will not get the nos Ford parts worth $$$ . Chances are it will sell on Ebay.
        Last edited by Mainemantom; 07-03-2018, 10:52 PM.

Comment

How long does it take you to sell stuff, especially your cars? When I/we put something up for sale, we want it gone within a month..

Guy that bought the Mark VII was practically a hobo. STANK of cigarettes, the test drive was borderline unbearable but luckily it was for 3 minutes. This was right when Alex was telling me to bump the price up to $1,400 or so, forgot to do that.

Comment

Typically takes me at least 2-3 months if not 2 years to sell stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When I was into buying and selling vehicles, If I had a car up for sale for a month, that was a long time. Most of the time cars sold in a week or so. Since I moved to Maine, People look at vehicles differently. Older cars are not appreciated by most. I know what I have,(nothing rare or special) and what I want for it, which actually is a reasonable price. I do not care how long it takes to sell it.
              When I want to sell it fast, It goes on Ebay. My old cars won't sell here in Maine that is for sure.

Comment

"I know what I have!"

Geez, 2-3 months Sly? That is a long time. Like Tom, most of our stuff sells in about a month, 1.5 at the most. Took 1.5 months to sell our trouble free & reliable '92 F250 for $1,000. I guess people really hate mix matched color stuff. Took me probably 2 months to sell my Fury. That was joy ride after joy ride coupled with "I can get you $500 today and blah blah blah..."

Comment

The problem is most of that stuff is still running down here and it's not as rare to find good clean stuff that's 30 years old.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    The problem is most of that stuff is still running down here and it's not as rare to find good clean stuff that's 30 years old.
                    Yeah, you have to find the right buyer who's willing to pay at least close to asking for your older car. Plus, some picky women refuse to drive older cars (various excuses like 'it won't be dependable!' or 'I deserve a Lexus!' etc), and refuse to drive anything 'too big.' The floor price for a running, driving car varies by the area where you live, and emissions and inspection regimes vary between states and even counties. We can buy anything with a check engine light and drive it into the ground polluting all day long, but the next county north of us CEL is an automatic fail. Pennsylvania fails your car if it has any rust through (or is it 'any rust through the paint?'), IIRC.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Yeah, I get so many people that say they don't drive old cars because they're unreliable. That's just the start of it lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X