11" Drums - Limo same as others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11" Drums - Limo same as others?

Can anyone confirm if the 11" drums used on a Lincoln limo (the overall brake design, but specifically the drum itself) are the same as used on a non-Limo and/or non-Lincoln box Panther with 11" drums?

Part numbers in the aftermarket seem to suggest they are the same. Just found an opportunity to get the 11" drums for stupid cheap by saying they're for a limo lol.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-09-2018, 10:15 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

They only made 10" and 11" rear drums - so yes they will fit No difference.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yeah...that's what I figured, but I wasn't sure what differs about the limo rear ends. Perhaps the contact width of the drum would be wider...that sort of thing.

All available indications say it's the normal 11" drum as used in all Panthers so-equipped, so my drums on the way now should fit as I need them to.

Anyone trying to get new 11" drums can save some decent cash (12 bucks a drum) by putting a Town Car (such as a 1984) in on RockAuto's catalog and finding a "limo-only" 11" drum for 20 bucks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	lincoln11drums.png
Views:	1
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	1284274
      Last edited by kishy; 07-10-2018, 01:11 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

Since the limo drums are on a different axle... the backing plates are different... but I think the drum itself is the same.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I’ll have posession of a limo axle this week, so i’ll let you know.
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

the only thing maybe different in there I can think of is the ABS tone ring on the limo axles but I don't see where it would cause anything to change.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              I’ll have posession of a limo axle this week, so i’ll let you know.
              Here’s a few pics of the limo rearend off a 94
              Attached Files

Comment

Eyeballing it...the hub area looks like it pokes out more on the 94 ABS setup.

The pic of the drums I bought does not indicate it poking out in that manner, so although catalogs don't seem to indicate it, there might be "ABS" and "non-ABS" 11" drums...

Curious to see what shows up in the mail. I think the part number matching up with a non-limo option is favourable, plus there was no ABS on any Panther in 84.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Looks like they're the same (or as same as aftermarket gets, RE: interfacing with backing plate which often differs slightly).

(not shown: I did put one on the car and it appeared to fit correctly)

Head on over to RockAuto, look up an 80s Town Car, find yourself some limo 11" drums for 21 bucks a pop and save big $$. $57 shipped inside the US was still cheaper than the cheapest way to source a single one anywhere on either side of the border.
                  Last edited by kishy; 07-19-2018, 09:17 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                  | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                  X