PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Set timing, now car won't start! HELP!!!

Member Not_your_grandpas_marquis's Avatar

I went and got a timing light after work, set it at 10° BTC on the compression stroke. Marked the crank on 0° and 10°, then started the car, pulled the spout connector, and adjusted the distributor with the light to where it idled good (around 12° BTC, I know that's where I had it advanced before I parked the car for the intake swap),sounded like it wasn't missing and the engine wasn't jerking like it missing anymore and it sounded like normal idle. Plugged the spout in, put it in drive and it ran normal until anything after 1100rpm and it sounds like it's missing on some cylinders and breaking up.

I checked all plugs and they look just fine like there's no rich cylinders, just a good clean burn. I've tried a different MAP sensor, a new coil, and timed it. Maybe the PIP in the distributor took a crap? That could be my last guess. I guess I could set the engine to 0° BTC and set the timing again but everyone seems to swear by going at 10° BTC on every other timing article I've read so it gives fair amount or retard and advance swing on the distributor.

I just feel the 19# will be to much especially with no AFR gauge to tell me truly if it's rich or lean and no adjustable fuel pressure regulator to dial in the fuel pressure.

I've had the EGR deleted since I put my old ported upper and lighting throttle body on a week after I got the car and it's never gave me any problems as I have it attached and plugged in but have it set up EGR spacer, blocking plate, then EGR sandwiched together.

Ide hate to put the old intake back on since ive done all this work and I've did this before to a 89 crown Vic beater I had and it ran fine with no issues AT ALL like I'm having now and it's just blowing my mind.

Get a smoke machine and smoke 'er real good to see if there are indeed any leaks. Or like you said about the PIP.. How does it run with the spout removed?
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

They don't rent smoke machines out do they?? I'll double check all my local parts stores and see if they do by some chance.

With the spout removed it seems to idle a bit better but once it's back in it kinda idles funky but catches itself after a few minutes.

The pip might be bad, I did scrub the distributor to get built up oil off but I know I didn't get the inside or the connector for the TFI plug wet but who knows, I'm almost willing to go spend the 85 bucks to go get one to just rule it out. I double checked the plugs again and they all show signs of clean burn, white brownish ceramic and the electrode tip is just kinda white which I know is normal clean burn, none of the plugs are oil soaked or have black soot on them.

My brain and fingers hurt from this simple install turned into a nightmare lol.

Not sure, I watch South Main Auto channel on YouTube and Eric uses a nice one that I want to pick up. I'm so tired of thinking I have no issues in a certain area only to find I have issues in that certain area. Arrgh.

Try leaving it out and driving around. That could help you isolate the issue. Or if you have a known good dizzy, swap that in there. Back when my girlfriend had a box of her own I did that all the time, much to her dismay haha

I bet, I'd be really irritated with it and myself at this point haha. Makes me wonder why I wrench at all in those moments of frustration & despair..

Sadly my local NAPA, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's don't carry them. Just my luck(or lack there of lol).

I do have 2 good ones laying around but they're for carburetted cars, which I wish my car was carburetted for ease of basically everything haha.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel right now, wish I would of left it alone but my lower intake oil leaks and the crave for a tiny bit more power from something I've had sitting around made me do it. If only I made enough to take it to a shop. After this I don't even want to touch another car, but I know I cant keep my addiction away for to long haha

Yeah... I'm at a loss on getting it to work without putting the stock throttle body back on. If you have it, you might try swapping the TB out with the original one.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Sadly I don't have the old TB and spacer anymore, so I'm at a loss too. Might just mark it up at a loss and set it to the scrap yard after I take my parts off it. Not what I want to do since it's my only car but after testing the injectors (all at 17.5 ohms), timing it again at 0° and 10° BTC on compression stroke then fine tuning it with the timing light and it not changing really anything other than how it idles, checking all the work I did about 20x and everything else I just don't know what else to do either.

Might try fitting a restriction in the intake tube to neck it down to 60mm and see if that helps. This would kinda mimic the lopo TB.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Yeah, sly has a great idea. You don't have to swap all the other old trash back on, just choke it down like it was. A lopo spacer or TB shouldn't be too hard to come by in a yard, right? Or make a choke with some flat stock...

I am truly thankful to say I figured it out! (Thanks to my brother in law) After timing it, checking the ohmz of the injectors, and checking everything over 20x (no that's not exaggerating sadly lol).

I pulled plug wires while it was running(the shocks really keep you alert hahahah) to find the miss and we found that cylinder 3 was dead, checked spark and was getting spark. So I pulled the #3 injector, and some how the little needle on the tip of the injector broke off and I have NO CLUE how. Even tho the ohmz read correctly it just wouldn't send fuel through it. One $50 new Injector later and she runs even better than before. Base timing set at 10° BTC, total timing set at 12°BTC (what she was at before the intake swap) and with the new intake she's a bit quicker and throttle response is WAY better than the old ported HO upper. If anyone wants a few extra (wheezing) ponies for there LoPo or even HO box for cheap the explorer/GT40 intake makes a decent seat of pants feel especially for a total of $55 ($30 for intake, $25 for intake gasket set. Had other gaskets laying around) unless you factor in paint for intake and injector but that's just my bad luck and like for making thing pretty lol. Thanks to everyone for all the help and ideas, I love this site!

woohoo! Glad y'all found it.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Outstanding, this was really bugging me.

Same here, it's like the earth is off my shoulders! It's just so dang nice have her back on the road and roasting the tires haha.

OH noice! Love it when a plan comes together.

Runs good eh? I've been tossing around the idea of throwing a HO upper on mine. Shop originally wouldn't do the GT40 for me so I do have one lying around.

Same here, I'm so dang glad my Ol'Betsy didn't have to go to the junkyard! (Even tho it was a main option lol)

Yeah it runs really good, it honestly runs smoother and better with the GT40 intake than it did with the ported HO upper and stock lower. Car is way more snappy on the throttle and there's a bit of seat of the pants feel, atleast for my car. I'm sure results may vary as with anything. There was no port overhang, the junk stock head ports and GT40 lower lined up damn near perfect. I put HO valve covers on since my old ones were leaking at the seals anyways, and the back side of the plenum hits the oil fill cap so you have to pop the cover off. Looks ugly but still works. In the end, even with the struggles(more of a learning experience now) it was totally worth it to me.

Yea,.....it's like when your girlfriend finally says yes.....same weight off the shoulders feeling(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not_your_grandpas_marquis View Post
    Same here, it's like the earth is off my shoulders! It's just so dang nice have her back on the road and roasting the tires haha.

Amen to that! Best description ever 😎

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Awesome

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

It's the NYC comic in me

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Toploader View Post
    Yea,.....it's like when your girlfriend finally says yes.....same weight off the shoulders feeling(s)
    Unless your girlfriend just found out she is pregnant. That type of YES you might not want to hear ! The weight is back on your shoulders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast