Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Set timing, now car won't start! HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set the timing back to 10° BTC, started it up and timed it with the light until it idled fine. I take it around the block and it's missing around 1100rpm and up.

I'm truly at a loss, all electrical plugs are plugged in, all used vacuum lines are plugged in and tight, timing is set, checked for vacuum leaks and there are none. I'm getting damn upset and I'm about to pull all my parts off, take her out back and put a .308 Round through the block and send her off. If only I made enough to take her to a shop haha.

Comment

Are you using a timing light and looking at the correct point on the timing marks and 0º lines up with said point when #1 is TDC? Missing around 1100 RPM sounds like too far advanced. or possibly too lean if you're using the 14# injectors. I'd toss on the 19# injectors just to make sure unless you have a wideband telling you for sure that it's rich. With the explorer top end, you should have too much air for the stock system to compensate for. Plugging in the 19# injectors may make it too rich, but it may run better at least. With a wideband, you could set up a "adjustable leak" to have air bypass the TB and into the manifold from the zip tube so it would still be filtered air. With the wideband, you could tune that leak so that idle was not too rich with the 19# injectors. At least in theory. It's a grand round-about way to do it, but it might work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had problems with the EGR valve on mine opening full. Didn't notice it until I put the Explorer intake on. Don't know if the passages were clogged or just smaller in the stock intake but it started misfiring not much above idle and didn't behave until I got somewhere near 4000. Pull the vac line off the EGR valve and see if anything changes.

It may just be too much intake. Worst case, put the stock parts back on.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd love to see this work with the 19# injectors... I've always wondered what a lopo cam and 19# injectors with GT40 top end would do if you could get it tuned.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            I'd love to see this work with the 19# injectors... I've always wondered what a lopo cam and 19# injectors with GT40 top end would do if you could get it tuned.
            A9P with a firing order retune.

Comment

I went and got a timing light after work, set it at 10° BTC on the compression stroke. Marked the crank on 0° and 10°, then started the car, pulled the spout connector, and adjusted the distributor with the light to where it idled good (around 12° BTC, I know that's where I had it advanced before I parked the car for the intake swap),sounded like it wasn't missing and the engine wasn't jerking like it missing anymore and it sounded like normal idle. Plugged the spout in, put it in drive and it ran normal until anything after 1100rpm and it sounds like it's missing on some cylinders and breaking up.

I checked all plugs and they look just fine like there's no rich cylinders, just a good clean burn. I've tried a different MAP sensor, a new coil, and timed it. Maybe the PIP in the distributor took a crap? That could be my last guess. I guess I could set the engine to 0° BTC and set the timing again but everyone seems to swear by going at 10° BTC on every other timing article I've read so it gives fair amount or retard and advance swing on the distributor.

I just feel the 19# will be to much especially with no AFR gauge to tell me truly if it's rich or lean and no adjustable fuel pressure regulator to dial in the fuel pressure.

I've had the EGR deleted since I put my old ported upper and lighting throttle body on a week after I got the car and it's never gave me any problems as I have it attached and plugged in but have it set up EGR spacer, blocking plate, then EGR sandwiched together.

Ide hate to put the old intake back on since ive done all this work and I've did this before to a 89 crown Vic beater I had and it ran fine with no issues AT ALL like I'm having now and it's just blowing my mind.

Comment

Get a smoke machine and smoke 'er real good to see if there are indeed any leaks. Or like you said about the PIP.. How does it run with the spout removed?
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

They don't rent smoke machines out do they?? I'll double check all my local parts stores and see if they do by some chance.

With the spout removed it seems to idle a bit better but once it's back in it kinda idles funky but catches itself after a few minutes.

The pip might be bad, I did scrub the distributor to get built up oil off but I know I didn't get the inside or the connector for the TFI plug wet but who knows, I'm almost willing to go spend the 85 bucks to go get one to just rule it out. I double checked the plugs again and they all show signs of clean burn, white brownish ceramic and the electrode tip is just kinda white which I know is normal clean burn, none of the plugs are oil soaked or have black soot on them.

My brain and fingers hurt from this simple install turned into a nightmare lol.

Comment

Not sure, I watch South Main Auto channel on YouTube and Eric uses a nice one that I want to pick up. I'm so tired of thinking I have no issues in a certain area only to find I have issues in that certain area. Arrgh.

Try leaving it out and driving around. That could help you isolate the issue. Or if you have a known good dizzy, swap that in there. Back when my girlfriend had a box of her own I did that all the time, much to her dismay haha

I bet, I'd be really irritated with it and myself at this point haha. Makes me wonder why I wrench at all in those moments of frustration & despair..

Comment

Sadly my local NAPA, AutoZone, and O'Reilly's don't carry them. Just my luck(or lack there of lol).

I do have 2 good ones laying around but they're for carburetted cars, which I wish my car was carburetted for ease of basically everything haha.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel right now, wish I would of left it alone but my lower intake oil leaks and the crave for a tiny bit more power from something I've had sitting around made me do it. If only I made enough to take it to a shop. After this I don't even want to touch another car, but I know I cant keep my addiction away for to long haha

Comment

Yeah... I'm at a loss on getting it to work without putting the stock throttle body back on. If you have it, you might try swapping the TB out with the original one.

Comment

Sadly I don't have the old TB and spacer anymore, so I'm at a loss too. Might just mark it up at a loss and set it to the scrap yard after I take my parts off it. Not what I want to do since it's my only car but after testing the injectors (all at 17.5 ohms), timing it again at 0° and 10° BTC on compression stroke then fine tuning it with the timing light and it not changing really anything other than how it idles, checking all the work I did about 20x and everything else I just don't know what else to do either.

Comment

Might try fitting a restriction in the intake tube to neck it down to 60mm and see if that helps. This would kinda mimic the lopo TB.

Comment

Yeah, sly has a great idea. You don't have to swap all the other old trash back on, just choke it down like it was. A lopo spacer or TB shouldn't be too hard to come by in a yard, right? Or make a choke with some flat stock...

Comment

I am truly thankful to say I figured it out! (Thanks to my brother in law) After timing it, checking the ohmz of the injectors, and checking everything over 20x (no that's not exaggerating sadly lol).

I pulled plug wires while it was running(the shocks really keep you alert hahahah) to find the miss and we found that cylinder 3 was dead, checked spark and was getting spark. So I pulled the #3 injector, and some how the little needle on the tip of the injector broke off and I have NO CLUE how. Even tho the ohmz read correctly it just wouldn't send fuel through it. One $50 new Injector later and she runs even better than before. Base timing set at 10° BTC, total timing set at 12°BTC (what she was at before the intake swap) and with the new intake she's a bit quicker and throttle response is WAY better than the old ported HO upper. If anyone wants a few extra (wheezing) ponies for there LoPo or even HO box for cheap the explorer/GT40 intake makes a decent seat of pants feel especially for a total of $55 ($30 for intake, $25 for intake gasket set. Had other gaskets laying around) unless you factor in paint for intake and injector but that's just my bad luck and like for making thing pretty lol. Thanks to everyone for all the help and ideas, I love this site!

Comment

Working...
                                X