August 25, 2018 - Metro Detroit Meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kishy View Post
    If it's on your way, stop in to Parts Galore in Flat Rock...
    ...I should mention, that yard has turnover so slow it still has cars from over 2 years ago in it.
    Which is exactly why I don't make a point to go there. TAS used to be pretty good, but has also started to be hit or miss. I forgot to ask, do they have a cover charge now? Used to be free to get in there.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Thoughts on publicizing this on Facebook? It would be confined to members of the GMN FB group, at least, but potentially pull in a little more attendance. Not that I think a huge group is better necessarily, but photo ops with more cars can be cool.

I mentioned it to BigMerc96 via other means (CVN IRC actually); he hadn't been aware of it.

Current driver: Ranger
      Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
      | 88 TC | 91 GM
      Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
      Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
      | Junkyards

Comment

I'm not opposed to the idea.
        What do the rest of you mangs (and womang,(Ashely)) think?

The easy part of a small gathering is that we can show up anytime we want at a public park, no reservations required and there are usually enough parking spots for everyone.

Kevin had mentioned that we would go with the park in Warren unless we had any other ideas come up.
        If everyone was interested in taking a trip way up north of Auburn Hills we could meet at a start park there.
        Bald Mountain State Recreation Area.
        https://www.michigan.org/property/ba...ecreation-area
        There is a fee to get into the park unless you have a park pass, but I think it was under $10.

I've been there on a very hot Saturday and it was not busy at all. There is a beach area (very shallow water, a little mucky but not too bad) on the south side of Lower Trout Lake, grills, and plenty of parking.
        It's farther for everyone that I can think of, except probably Mark.

Or maybe this could be an idea for next time.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ash and I would be ok for a road trip of sorts. I'm never on Facebook, have notifications disabled even.

Comment

For better or for worse, I did create the event on FB for the GMN group. I know that much like how we have forum members who are not on FB, there are FB members who are not on the forum, and they are not automatically riff-raff on that basis alone

If all in attendance are particularly "wrenchy" maybe a junkyard walk-through could be a good little activity. If no parts-pulling is actually happening, nobody has to worry about getting greasy, but if it's a hot day it might not be the most comfortable place to be. As maybe everyone here already knows, Parts Galore on 8 Mile currently has a few boxes as does Ryan's, and I think U-Pull in Pontiac still does too.

As for the venue...if it costs to get in, so be it, but if a free location exists offering equal-ish amenities then that's preferable. I'm not opposed to a bit of a drive but would suggest keeping it true to "Metro Detroit".

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Well, if I'm in my Lincoln I can't be bothered to get gritty & greasy. Prim & proper don't ya know. And someone has to open the rear doors for the lady

Comment

Well, a simple walk through and commentary won't ruin your chauffeur's jacket and hat...it's a thought An optional one, but a thought.

Guy I know on Facebook up in Memphis MI just picked up an 89 TC, looks fairly clean. I tipped him off about the meet and he may attend.
                Last edited by kishy; 08-01-2018, 09:12 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Good point. We can certainly spectate & stupervise.

OOO, pics? Ashley just brought up box TC life. Says that car gave her the least headaches of all she's owned so far. I feel bad for being responsible for car purchases that followed...

Comment

Well, a simple walk through and commentary won't ruin your chauffeur's jacket and hat...it's a thought An optional one, but a thought.

Guy I know on Facebook up in Memphis MI just picked up an 89 TC, looks fairly clean. I tipped him off about the meet and he may attend.
                    Did he get rid of the '85 (I think) TC? My in-laws live in Memphis so I'm up there often, and I told him could help last summer since it had some running issues but we never met up.
                    Actually I'll be in Memphis this weekend.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Good point. We can certainly spectate & stupervise.

OOO, pics? Ashley just brought up box TC life. Says that car gave her the least headaches of all she's owned so far. I feel bad for being responsible for car purchases that followed...
                      Not sure how he'd feel about that, he's not on the forum and I don't know his reasons for that.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                      Did he get rid of the '85 (I think) TC? My in-laws live in Memphis so I'm up there often, and I told him could help last summer since it had some running issues but we never met up.
                      Actually I'll be in Memphis this weekend.
                      Yeah, that's him. He has some CFI leftover parts for me too, I just haven't been able to get up his way yet.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Yeah, that's him. He has some CFI leftover parts for me too, I just haven't been able to get up his way yet.
                        I met him today. This weekend is Memphis days; everyone has yard sales, parade was yesterday, fireworks tonight and other various things going on.
                        He lives about a dozen houses down the street from my in-laws. We didn't talk long since he had someone come up interested in the old Simplicity lawn tractor and attachments he had for sale and my wife was ready to hit the next yard sale.

He said depending on his work schedule he may try to make it.
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Two weeks from tomorrow!

I'll be there in my summer beater, aka The Scab.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yes, was meaning to wake this up again. Let's firm up the location for certain over the weekend...anyone with knowledge of local venues suitable for this event, toss the ideas into the mix.

Halmich Park as last year sounds like the good fallback in the event we can't come up with alternatives.

Belle Isle? Unless I'm mistaken there is plenty of parking. I think I suggested that last year and it was unfavourable due to distance to food, so maybe the question is more "what food is available near Belle Isle".

Anyone familiar with Clique diner just east of downtown? Reviews are good. Might be a bit small.

Personally have eaten at Bucharest Grill, found it very good (specifically noting that their veggies are super fresh and crisp which is critical in any type of pita).

I'll be in the Town Car, but it may be pretty dirty. Depends how the timing works out that morning if I'll be able to wash it.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                            | Junkyards

Comment

As was pointed out last year, I live under a rock. I'll be there wherever there ends up being, and am not opposed to Belle Isle.

At this point I hope I get around to vacuuming my car by then. Wash was done last weekend, so maybe a quick wipe down.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Something that occurred to me...maybe there are food trucks on Belle Isle on weekends. Probably not without an event going on, but it's a maybe.

There's gotta be something good in the downtown-midtown area. Will spend some time on The Googles.
                                Last edited by kishy; 08-10-2018, 10:26 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X