No announcement yet.

August 25, 2018 - Metro Detroit Meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

theres a small chance I'll be in the area at this time, if so i'd love to join!
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Sweet, a brown LTD, a brown LTC, and a brown (medium rosewood metallic) MGM.
      It would be cool to meet you if you can make it.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I really don't relish in the idea of leaving my TC parked down town anywhere.. Call it paranoia, but the one day I made an exception in parking away from people to avoid door dings is the day my Colorado ended up with one if you catch my drift.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Well, it's a thought. I'm specifically trying to find a place for us to NOT be in a paved parking lot for the initial 'meet' stage of the meet. Hence Belle Isle where there are opportunities to park and then be immediately near the car but not on pavement.

Current driver: Ranger
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

Another thought: if any of us has a fairly portable BBQ (such as a table top one), perhaps going out for food is unnecessary and we can throw something together at the meet location.

Edit: I'm going to withdraw the Belle Isle suggestion as I have just become aware of the following. However, the spirit of the suggestion stands, I think.

"What do I need to access the island now that Belle Isle is a State Park? How much does it cost?

There is no cost to enter the park, however a Recreation Passport is needed to DRIVE onto the island. This costs $11.00/car and $5.oo/motorcycle for Michigan residents and $31.00 for non-Michigan residents. Once purchased, the recreation passport will allow you to visit the island unrestricted until your car registration is due. Upon renewal, check YES! In the Recreation Passport box and you then have access to Michigan’s state parks (including Belle isle) for the ENTIRE YEAR! Recreation passports for commerical buses and limozines cost $16.00 for an annual pass."
            Last edited by kishy; 08-10-2018, 03:46 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

I do have a little table top charcoal grill that I've only used once. I even have a bag of charcoal that will not likely be used any time soon. I also have a camp stove that I got at a yard sale a few years ago and have yet to use.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Sorry guys. So what do we want to do? Restaurant?
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

I"ve got the recreation passport on my truck since I figure if Ash and I visit state parks and such we'd do it with that thing. ORV and all..

What's wrong with a parking lot? Not knocking your suggestion in anyway but is familiar territory. I've got nothing else to suggest as my mind is soggy cereal most days. I'm down for whatever. Figure we could do that one joint like we did last year or try Red Coat Tavern which is another place just further north on Wootward. Are their parks down there we could crash? NFC but I'm in. Town Car received oil change and chassis lube. On to fixing the radio since it doesn't work for whatever reason and washing & detailing it this coming weekend..

Comment

It's Detroit at the end of August in the early afternoon. A parking lot is the least desirable place to be lol. Halmich park affords places to be near cars and not on pavement, but based on last year there may be some competition for that space.

What's the deal with municipalities over there making parks restricted access, pay to play? That's crap. Parks are a big part of the value I expect to get back out of my tax dollars at all government levels, I'd be mad as hell if I had to pay at the gate (the same extending to visitors to my municipality). Or if there was a gate at all. Maybe it's more common here than I think, but my local area doesn't do it.

Spindler Park in Eastpointe also offers a good size parking area directly adjacent to green space, but it's hard to gauge from the map how decent it is or isn't. I only found that while trying to find something on the waterfront. The trade-off with the waterfront is loss of proximity to the more standard food choices.

Lake Front Park in St Clair Shores (but owned by Grosse Pointe Woods) would be nice but again, pay to play, residents only.

Grosse Point Shores park might work. No access restrictions as far as I can tell.

Depending on what food options are amenable to folks, such as Mercury burger bar right in the shadow of Michigan Central Station, maybe something in that area (which may not always be classy but is not awful) might work.

A final alternative suggestion...find someplace Dearborn-ish for the meet and go to Ford's Garage. Busy as hell though, as I understand it, so booking something in advance would likely be necessary.
                    Last edited by kishy; 08-13-2018, 09:22 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

I'm good with wherever we land.

Also may have a coworker coming with his '92 Mustang. He's looking for a Towncar, either late box or early aero, and would love to throw the lightly modified 302 from the mustang into a Towncar.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

My only request would be for some place with some shade I'm happy to BS around for awhile then get some eats.

If I was local, I'd offer suggestions - but I don't really know what to offer/say.
                        -Nick M.
                        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                          I'm good with wherever we land.

Also may have a coworker coming with his '92 Mustang. He's looking for a Towncar, either late box or early aero, and would love to throw the lightly modified 302 from the mustang into a Towncar.
                          Mine could be for sale, for the right price of course

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
                            My only request would be for some place with some shade I'm happy to BS around for awhile then get some eats.

If I was local, I'd offer suggestions - but I don't really know what to offer/say.
                            Sadly, you are probably just as familiar with the Detroit area as I am, and I live here (under a rock).

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Mine could be for sale, for the right price of course
                            His dream color is black on black, but he might seriously consider taking you up on that deal next summer.

He's taken on a few projects this summer already. Sold his manual trans early Focus earlier this year, then bought an '07 Malibu Maxx which is for sale after he fixed a few things, bought a '99 Jeep Cherokee which he's keeping for hauling/winter DD (after fixing the engine... quite the story). All stupid clean vehicles too. If it wasn't for already buying two vehicles in the past couple months he would have been willing to check out the crispy black '88 I posted in the shoutbox. That one has black interior and digidash but the clearcoat is gone and the interior is rough. It looks solid and is $1500 asking price, but it's in South Bend, Indiana.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yeah I said my dream color was black with red interior. Then I met my car, black on sandalwood. 1/43 made that way and I have to admit, I'm in love with it. Contrast is good

You know, people always talk about how reliable jeeps are yet they're always fixing the engine..

If it's krispy, leave it be I say. Rust is just so time consuming & exhausting to fix and there really is no fixing it. Like guys who splice in patch panels, uhh how are you treating the inside areas? You know, the ones which caused the rot in the first place? Cause your car looks pretty right now but give it a couple years... The stuff is really like the simplex virus...
                              My car is done. Would kill me to sell it as short of routine maintenance, it really is turn key. The only car I own which I can say that about haha. Oh and no rust anywhere

Comment

Checking in, still a go for me.
                                Let's firm up the location soon.I am down for whatever. If we are going to grill let me know, got a good source for steaks... will bring some for all. I second the paranoia of dings and dents.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Working...
                                X