Strange ticking noise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange ticking noise.

Alright guys ever since i got my car running about 2 1/2 years ago its been making a strange ticking noise from the front of the block. I have put all new timing chain and water pump and harmonic balancer. New fuel injectors and did a full rotor/cap/wire and plug tune up and its still there. I even went ahead and replaced the header gaskets twice. Any clues? The sound seems to be coming from the dizzy area.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Also you dont hear it when at idle nor coasting.

Comment

Is it rhythmic or random?

Take off belts and run the car breifly to isolate the problem to the engine or assessories.

Rhythmic ticks are typically valve and lifter related.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Sure its not an exhaust leak?
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ill do that tomorow after work when the engine is cold. And im sure its not an exhaust leak. 2 sets of headers and changed out the gaskets twice on the new headers. The ticking seems constant even when rpms drop when going to next gear. It suddenly goes quiet when i let off the gas and just coasting

Comment

+1 exhaust leak, belt seam on the AC tensioner pulley, or rocker/lifter.

Also, check for anything loose hanging up front that could be pushed back into the belts/pulleys. Something could be bouncing off stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

No belt on ac because im missing one of bolts for the pulley. Everything is tightened as ive gone through it a few times including when i replaced timing chain. Did it before the chain swap. Ill try new header gaskets. And maybe on the lifters, no idea how to check those.

Comment

I probably should hve mentioned a lifter/valvetrain problem would probably not come and go with accel/decel.

What kind of headers are you running, and what H-pipe? I once owned a cheap fox body h-pipe that was a leaker where the h-pipe met the headers.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  I probably should hve mentioned a lifter/valvetrain problem would probably not come and go with accel/decel.
                  Unless it was an oil pressure issue with the hyd lifter and the pressure change

I was thinking it could be some sort of slack in the timing chain/gears rubbing on something with the load/unloading of the engine as you coast and take your foot off the gas

Maybe a loose rocker getting smacked by a pushrod?

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                  '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                  '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

New timing chain and im running shorty headers going to some high flow cats going into an x pipe. We checked the rockers and they are all nice and tight

Comment

No noise at idle though? I was thinking maybe poke around with a mechanic's stethoscope but if it won't make the noise when not driving thats a little harder.

Have you tried it with no alternator belt? Not impossible the alternator bearings are dicked. Also not impossible the distributor is messed up. The scope or even just a piece of vacuum hose stuck in your ear should help narrow it down.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sorry had to

On a more serious note, i have heard of water pumps knocking as well. Check the pulley bolts and obvious stuff first, make sure thee are no pieces of the belt falling off, hitting something.
                        Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-12-2018, 10:19 PM.

Comment

ooh voldy voldemort

Comment

Distributor would make sense since my tach jumps from like to 2400 to 800 then to 0 when coasting then back to 2000s when i give it gas. Its one of those tachs that attach to the spark plug wire similiar to a timing light. Buddy of mine also said it sounds like a exhaust leak. Imma replace that and maybe 3rd time is the charm. If it still persists he said maybe the header has a hole in it.

Comment

Snoop around with a vacuum line or a scope, if you have a leak you'll find it. No point in throwing time and parts at it without knowing if you are wasting your time.

Comment

Working...
                              X