Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 86 Merc

Hey . Im new here and figured id post a few photos of my car /future plans

Its an 86 with 168000km. And by far the cleanest car of this era i have owned. My plans are to keep it looking almost completely stock with the minor exception of LED headlights for better clarity at night. I would also like to do all the HO parts needed to gain the extra bit of power/ exhaust note

I also have air ride ready to go in. I know some people on here will give me flack ...Dont care . Im not making a lowrider with Dayton's and fancy paint , i just want less body roll and the option of getting low in the parking lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	marq.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1304569Click image for larger version

Name:	marquis.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1304573Click image for larger version

Name:	marqu.jpg
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1304570Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180526_151826_882.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1304571Click image for larger version

Name:	BagBrackets.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1304572

Looks really clean. And appears to have been treated with some kind of rust prevention judging by a couple plugs I see in the door jamb.

Welcome.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks ,
      It had 9 years worth of Rust Check Stickers in the back window and I'm the second owner . Funny enough, it was originally bought at a dealer in Belleville , and made in St Thomas Ontario . So has stayed within a 300 km radius its entire life .

Comment

Clean car! What's wrong with air ride? It's your car, modify it how you want. The rear air ride that came on the '90+ town cars and '92+ Crown Vics and Grand Marquis were phenomenal for smoothing out road imperfections, and generally lasted for 10-12 years and 80-120k miles with no trouble. At this point these cars are classics, and no one (that I know of) gives guys chopping up 50's & 60's Ford trucks and bagging them any shite. You're making it dependable and doing it right/safely, good on ya.
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Nice box. Interesting option combo, power everything, cruise, tilt, A/C yet analog clock.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I like the color a lot. I dont see that one too often. Have fun with it!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't mind air ride, consider I own two Lincolns with factory four wheel air suspension. Air is way less silly than hydraulics if you ask me. It actually rides and handles well. I will say that I find it silly when people go downgrading brakes to run a 13" wheel that doesn't actually fit under the car.

A question I do have, what do you do with the shocks up front?
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

To be honest ... i haven't figured it out yet .
                I know what I'm doing with the back end, but hadn't even thought about the strut running thru the spring up front until you mentioned it .

Relocate ? I know some truck guys completely delete them . But i want equivilant or better ride quality ,so ill have to do more Googling.

Comment

I have seen stuff where the shock gets mounted externally, I guess that could work as long as its not positioned where the wheels would hit. I guess they don't make air springs with a hollow through the middle to pass the shock through?

Back end is easy, shocks sit outboard. I was actually looking to put 90s factory air springs in the rear of my car, but the frame is not the same up top so the 90s parts don't fit without modding the upper spring perch area. I wasn't inclined to fool with it so the coils remain.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Very clean car. Not huge on weird suspension stuff but if it makes you happy then rock on. Either way you get to enjoy a nice ride so screw the haters.

Comment

Yeah I'm not big on changing factory suspension around but I love air ride on cars that have them, especially Mark VII's.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

if I ever did air on one, I'd probably control it with a Mark VII brain and just have it auto-level. I'd want the air purely for leveling and ride, not interested in manual control.

Comment

I've seen hollow air springs for use on panthers to keep the shock in the stock location. They were in excess of $600 each though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I gotta say I am jealous of your door panels. Only certain interior combinations got the wood grain applique on the upper part of the panel with the Mercury wreath. I'd love to find a set in tan some day if they were in good shape.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

You all have me second guessing this air ride . lol . I gathered all winter for my parts and now that I'm ready to install, i might just sell it all and put money into replacing stock suspension , and tuning up engine /new tires .

i really don't want to be welding shock relocation stuff on the frame. And hearing what everyone has to say about the car itself .. i like the originality ,and don't want to trash a well maintained ride .

Thanks for the insight .

Comment

Working...
                              X