2 Row aluminum Radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Row aluminum Radiator?

My 4 year old Spectra 3 core brass/copper radiator decided to crack...I don't want to buy another one of this quality. i was looking at other radiators, especially ones that might cool even better. Does anyone have experience with other aftermarket radiators?

I was looking at this one: https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...EaAtxEEALw_wcB

I definitely want something of quality... and I want it to have greater cooling capacity. With the A/C on and a 90 degree day im running between 205-210 on my *potentially* inaccurate temp gauge.

Edit: I belive that radiator is made by Champion...which i have in my Maverick...
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-13-2018, 11:36 AM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I have a BeCool universal radiator for my '86 CV, but I have yet to install it. I discovered that if you want to use the stock hold-down brackets; I had to score another long one from the junkyard to fit the radiator core. The shorter one used for the stock radiators don't fit. Otherwise, the dimensions are almost the same except for the width, which is 2" shorter than the stock radiator. Hopefully, I will resolve the engine issues that I have been having, so I can get pictures of this stuff installed.

Comment

Is the brass rad cracked somewhere that it can be soldered? If so, I'd probably do that but I'm a cheap-ass.

For whatever its worth, I think the Spectra is whats in my car, and my gauge indicates about the same temperature. I don't completely trust the gauge either, the old gauge showed cooler.

I think John had one of those fancy aluminum ones but it failed somehow. I think he figured out it was a missing ground problem by measuring the voltage in the coolant. Might be worth doing that to make sure your radiator didn't fail because of other reasons.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have one of those spectra from oreillys. Cools alright in texas 100° heat and its lifetime warranty in case shit goes bad.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by dan; 07-13-2018, 10:14 PM.

Comment

The Spectra aluminum rads (available in 2-row config only) are lifetime from many but not all vendors. The Spectra copper and brass 3-row units are 2 year only, which in my eyes speaks to the manufacturer believing the design is inherently more failure-prone.

I've never explored the "better" options because Spectra stuff has met my needs up to now. I have a Canadian-made Spectra 2-row aluminum in my 91 going strong for 5 years now. Chinese-made Spectra 3-row copper in my Lincoln for a month or so now...knock on wood, no issues yet.
          Last edited by kishy; 07-13-2018, 10:43 PM.

Current driver: wagon
          Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
          | 88 TC | 91 GM
          Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
          Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
          | Junkyards

Comment

I've got spectra aluminum/plastic in everything but the vomit comet (which I assume still has the original Ford rad in it). New brass rads ain't what they used to be, I put one in the mgm years ago and it disintigrated in a couple years. Went back to alumnimum/plastic. The truck and nova no longer have a brass option and getting one local was an eye opener in the ridiculous prices those things command now so got the aluminum/plastic with some trepidation. All fit properly, everything threads in properly, and they surprisingly hold up better. I'm sold on them.

Alex.

Comment

As a guy who had brass in everything when I was young brass was never what it used to be except a PITA. It could be repaired but there was a reason there were radiator repair shops everywhere. Maybe the antifreeze is better but when it comes to radiators, imo these are the good old days.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well I ordered the 2 row champion. based on their dimensions the core is actually thicker than my 3 row brass. 1 5/8 vs 1 3/4, so not by much, but its got 1 less row and is thicker! So i guess i'll be the guinea pig here and let you guys know how it does.. I like the one in my maverick and it's held up so far.

someone also mentioned I could get a factory 6 blade fan from a truck that would increase cooling capacity as well. I may be driving it in the mid/southwest...so I need it to be top notch in that department.
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

I just upgraded to the factory 351 Windsor 7-blade fan. Also my clutch was shot so I am installing a new Motorcraft one.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Where did you find that fan?
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

I bought that same radiator from rad-express. Haven't installed it yet but i've looked it over and it appears the stock fan-shroud will fit with a little work. Also, you will need an additional long hold-down as someone else mentioned. Luckily, i have one from my wrecked car. Plan is to stab this radiator in when i put the 347 in the car. The radiator looks to be very good quality but time will tell...

Comment

Knucklehead, we should report back here if something goes wrong with either one of ours, so others know what to expect. Thankfully I already have 2 "long" hold downs because of my current police 3 car in there
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Installed the radiator today. She fit nicely, no modification needed. Drove the car for a while under multiple conditions. During heavy stop and go conditions, highway, and in city cruising the car ran 5 degrees cooler than it had before in all conditions. This was in similar mid-80's ambient temperature, with the AC on. Normally stop and go it runs about 210, it was at 205. It's normally 205 on the highway under these conditions, it ran 200.

Overall very pleased with this, I like these temperatures and its ability to cool a lot more than the old 3 row spectra offered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5396.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	2.48 MB
ID:	1284341Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5395.jpeg
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	1284342Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5393.jpeg
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1284343
                          -Phil

sigpic

Comment

how much did it cost shipped?
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It was right around 200 shipped, so comparable to the 3 row spectra copper/brass. Lets see if it lasts more than 4 years now...
                              -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X