2 Row aluminum Radiator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope it is a good bet.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Something to keep in mind for when mine fails. Aluminum is a somewhat more efficient material for heat transfer, but some of it may be flow related. Two large, high-flow cores will be able to shed heat better than three that are similar overall dimensions but don't flow as efficiently.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah the fins seem to be spaced a bit wider on the 2 core, the 3 core looked really dense and cramped. Not sure if this was a good or bad thing, but based on the outcome, im going to go with bad.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

That all-aluminum radiator I put in the Mark VI still seems to be getting the job done for Nick. That's been some time ago now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
            Where did you find that fan?
            88grandmarquis found it on eBay for about $30. Here is a pic:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-FAN.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	1284355

I believe this fan is off a 351 Windsor police car or towing package car.

This one says it's from a 6.6 or 7.5L but looks exactly like mine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-MAR...itleDesc=0%7C0
            Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 07-29-2018, 11:45 AM.
            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I seem to vaguely recall stuffing a fan and clutch off a late 70s 460 onto Jim from Nebraska's car a bunch of Scottfests ago. His clutch fucked out entirely and the car was overheating. The 460 fan had extra blades but the clutch mounted up the same so we stuck it on his car so he could get home. As I recall it worked fine, but it was kind of loud.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well if it is off a 351/tow package car, it must be a later one, because my police 351 car has a 5 blade fan, and the 89 wagon has the tow package, and also has a 5 blade fan. Since the radiator is so much more efficient I'll skip the extra bladed fan, I'd hate for it to sound like a truck
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

The fan is noticeably louder than the 5 blade, but I can only hear it when I turn off the A/C and the radio and it's idling in 90+ degree heat.
                  1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

So I rough fitted my BeCool unit into the '86 CV. The BeCool unit is 2" narrower than the stock radiator (33" wide); but it still fits inside the lower mounts. Like the upper radiator mounts, you will need to get two of the wider mounts on the bottom (2x driver side lower mount) and you will have to drill the radiator core on the passenger side for the rubber tab to sit in. As you will see in the picture; the original passenger side lower mount has the rubber tab off to the side; whereas the driver side lower mount rubber tab is in the middle. The BeCool unit sits a little higher than the stock radiator. I will have to get spacers for the upper radiator mounts so they sit even with the top of the radiator flange/core. I may mess with other mounting solutions in an attempt to firm it up some more. The lower radiator hose will need to be modified to clear the steering box. I don't think that will be difficult; will cross that bridge when I get there. Hopefully this will give you an idea of what you are getting into if you haven't already gotten a radiator.

Last edited by packman; 08-27-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Packman how are you dealing with the size differance in the inlet hose? It is a 1/4 inch smaller than a stock CV Hose inlet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodentkiller View Post
                        Packman how are you dealing with the size differance in the inlet hose? It is a 1/4 inch smaller than a stock CV Hose inlet.
                        The BeCool unit he has, or the Radiator Express one linked in this thread?

Also what is the dimension in question? Boxes use two different radiator inlet sizes depending on model year. Somewhere around 86-87 it got bigger, on older years it was smaller.

Current driver: wagon
                        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                        | 88 TC | 91 GM
                        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                        | Junkyards

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          Installed the radiator today. She fit nicely, no modification needed. Drove the car for a while under multiple conditions. During heavy stop and go conditions, highway, and in city cruising the car ran 5 degrees cooler than it had before in all conditions. This was in similar mid-80's ambient temperature, with the AC on. Normally stop and go it runs about 210, it was at 205. It's normally 205 on the highway under these conditions, it ran 200.

Overall very pleased with this, I like these temperatures and its ability to cool a lot more than the old 3 row spectra offered.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]50512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]50514[/ATTACH]
                          Looks great mang! Glad to hear they work. Mine won't be going in until the 347 does, and who knows when that will be. Sucky shit thing about it is that i still have a new stock radiator from the wrecked car. That thing literally got almost everything new right before the wreck. I guess on the bright side i have spare parts in case anything shits the bed.

Comment

They make sleeves to adapt inlet/outlet sizes. I have on on the new rad that is going in the diesel. Not sure, but I may actually be using the same radiator in that car, if not its awful similar.

Comment

On the later year CV the radiator inlet hose is 1-1/2 not 1-1/4 as I found out on my cooling system project from hell tried to fit a 4 core radiator in my 90 CV did not work aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhh.

Comment

for the upper hose you can just order a rad hose for an 85 Vic with a 351. The upper hose is 1 1/4, the later cars with the plastic tank radiators were 1 1/2.

Comment

Working...
                                X