Fuel line replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line replacement

This is actually something I haven't had to deal with yet, surprisingly, and I've realized I have some questions before attempting to replace the metal fuel lines on the wagon. I'm only looking at replacing the metal lines at this time because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the flexible sections at either end.

Are the supply and return lines both 5/16"? I could just go look and measure, but maybe it's on the tip of someone's tongue already.

How does one go about remaking the original style "bump" on the new metal line so it will properly mate with the original flexible lines that use the duckbill clips? I understand the actual sealing action is being done by an O-ring around the line between the end of the line and the bump, thus, using a flaring tool to just put the bump on the end of the line will not work because the bump has no sealing value.

The point about remaking the bump on the lines is making me question if perhaps it would be best to just go rubber line for the entire length of the car. I assume there's a reason Ford didn't do this originally though. That brings with it other challenges like how to secure it, and what to secure it to, so it won't chafe through within a year or so.

Also wondering about the option of finding a vehicle that's about the right length in the junkyard, and taking used plastic fuel lines from it. Thinking maybe rear tank lines off a dual tank F-series truck. They would be about the right diameter to fit into whatever retainers are being used for the 5/16 metal lines. Or so I think.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-14-2018, 10:09 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Decided not to be lazy and measured it. They're both 5/16. The evap line is something visibly smaller, not worried about it for now. No pressure on that line so I'm not worried about how to connect things in that system.

How about nylon fuel line? I could run that pretty easily, and use those pre-made duckbill clip fitting things to connect to the fuel connections on the back of the tank, on the filter, and on the lines coming off the engine. Seems you just heatshrink the nylon line onto the barbs for the connectors and it seals itself together.
    Last edited by kishy; 07-14-2018, 11:19 AM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Mark VII's and other vehicles used nylon line. No reason you can't. I don't think I'd use rubber though, not quite as chafe resistant.

Usually when I've seen metal lines done, the very ends were recycled to allow for connection to the factory stuff. Perhaps not the most elegant thing but without whatever crimping die Ford used I don't know that you have a lot of choice.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You can get the crimper and make it fit like factory...we did with Large Marge, however the key is finding a shop with one. They make the ni-cop lines now that are easy to bend too. More expensive, but it also depends on how much your time is worth. You can get the nylon lines with the quick disconnects from any parts store
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I reused my ends when I did mine.

If I had it to do over again, I would consider running copper lines instead of the peiced together steel stuff I used.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Amazingly, nylon fuel line was cheaper this side of the border than that side, so that's cool. Got some of that and a couple ends to mate up things up, as well as some unions to try to salvage the existing connections. That'll backfire if I tear an o-ring, but since I'm aware of it, hopefully that's enough to make it not happen.

What I really need, but am having a hard time finding, is an interface from nylon line to connect to the female quick connect...that is, like a union on one end and the male 'flared' tube on the other. I won't need to replace the lines attached to the tank if I can find fittings to do that. There are compression fittings to do the reverse, but I don't need to do that.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

they're just O rings, nothing you cant replace. I've done it before when the O ring at the fuel filter tore.

Speaking of fuel filter, do you need the type of quick connect with the clip that the tank and filter use, or the springlock type for the fuel rail?
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No connections on this car use the spring lock type; they're all the removable clip style, including at the filter and all line connections. Kind of nice. I don't care for the spring lock ones.

I think we discussed the o-rings before. I have a bunch of the ones for the top and bottom of SEFI injectors, which I think are the same ones used in those connectors...possibly.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

The fuel filter connections at least have a barb on there. If you carefully slice the old line at the fitting, it should peel off and allow the fitting to come free. Heat the plastic line and it should stretch enough to shove the new line on, it will set once it cools. I would be surprised if the fittings in other spots don't assemble the same way.

Comment

In a perfect world I won't be altering the existing plastic lines where they hook onto the tank and run to the frame rails. But the complication with that is, how to come up with the male end of connection (as in, the end of a fuel filter) to attach to the end of the new plastic line.

It appears that the part I need to do this is commercially produced, but just can't be had locally which therefore makes cost go up.

Something like this: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...150/10842558-P

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

Another thought: mounting the nylon lines.

Being nylon, I expect this to be quite a bit more susceptible to chafing damage, so I'm not quite sure what to do for mounting/supporting it.

Giving some thought to the spring-wrap stuff that you can put on steel lines.

Haven't put eyes on the factory line mounting solution yet but I'm guessing it's probably something bolted into the frame every 2 feet, give or take. I suspect the nylon needs to be secured in shorter intervals.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                      | Junkyards

Comment

Run through loom of some sort and then use rubber lined cable clamps from Home Depot Motorsports...
                        something like this... https://www.homedepot.com/p/0-75-in-...1575/202875639

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Home Depot Motorsports..
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The stuff on the Mark I don't believe is in any sort of special sleeve. It just runs under the passenger side rocker area. Mine actually has a splice there where it got damaged at some point in the past. If you want some protection though, either plastic flex conduit or cheap rubber hose that it will slide into will work fine. Use the rubber clamps though. Off the top of my head I don't recall what the Mark has, but its probably those same plastic clips that we got for steel lines.

Comment

I think the aluminum lines we used on the 84 build we're just cut square and then sealed with the self-crimping AN fittings themselves. Been awhile though so I'm not sure. Thain and Scott might remember more

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X