Rear brakes locking up?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brakes locking up?!

This applies to aero rear disc brakes on my 89 colony park.. I was driving home today and something went very wrong with my right rear brake. When stopping at higher speeds it would make a lot of noise, almost like groaning/grinding. At lower speeds coming to a stop it would basically lock the rear wheel up and make it hop along the ground. When I go to accelerate from a stop I would have to give it a lot of gas and it would go POP and offer no more resistance until i tried to brake again. When driving it makes a high pitch squealing noise, almost like the low brake indicator, however the pads are almost new. I tried it in reverse however it exhibits none of these symptoms while driving in reverse.

The axle doesn't appear to have excessive play, the wheel adapter i have bolted on there was tight as can be, and the wheel itself was tight. I was able to remove the caliper with almost no resistance... I'm suspecting the caliper might be bad (its a reman unit, only a few years old), however I've never had a bad caliper do this. Any ideas/anyone experience anything like this?

Thanks
    -Phil
    Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-18-2018, 05:28 PM.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Im suspecting caliper as well. If not caliper then what is feeding the caliper....master cylinder could be telling it to do funny things.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I would think that would effect both sides though if it were the master cylinder though? I should mention that the right side was also hotter than the left side
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

In that order, Caliper, Master.

Are you using stock master?
        If so did you permanently disable the pressure control fitting on the side of the master that the brake line screws to?

Hoses can collapse but that would usually present as drag after pedal released.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Doyou have one hose over the rear and hard lines to the calipers?

Does sound like caliper is fubar'ed.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It is a stock master, I have no idea if the pressure control fitting was disabled or not. i actually have a new booster and 98-02 master to go in the wagon, just haven't gotten around to it.

I do have a hose over the rear and new hard lines going to another flex line going to the caliper. All the hoses are a few years old, and all the hard lines are either new as of a few months ago, or new as of a couple years ago
            Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 07-18-2018, 05:45 PM.
            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

By flex lines do you mean hoses or something I'm not familiar with?

Calipers are cheap. Get a caliper, with new bolts, boots and slippers, pads if you think you might need them. (hose also if that is what you mean)
              Hopefully it will become obvious once you take it apart.
              I recently had rust bubbles under the stainless slipper. I think it was causing uneven pad wear. So clean the brackets well and lube them under the slipper.
              I would double check the E-brake stuff while I was there, just cause.
              You can always return the stuff if you take it apart and find something else.

I like these Extended wear pads both fore and aft on our panthers.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...8370&jsn=18716
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Heat means friction. Only explanation is that side is grabbing more.

And yes, I would imagine if something is up with the master it would cause both rear brakes to function abnormally and not just one.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Something is dragging, could be parking brake and not service brake though. Gonna have to pull the wheel for a look. Take the rotor off and check inside too.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah, the parking brake seemed to work ok overall, I used it to stop several times on the way home. I ordered 2 new raybestos professional grade calipers that were on closeout from rockauto for $17 each. So we will see what that ends up doing.
                    -Phil

sigpic

Comment

don't forget to check whatever that flex line is.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Ah yeah, flexible brake line= brake hose
                        -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                          In that order, Caliper, Master.

Are you using stock master?
                          If so did you permanently disable the pressure control fitting on the side of the master that the brake line screws to?
                          Never had that problem on my 86. And it certainly wouldn't cause lock up on one side.

Comment

It will make for slightly premature wear on the rear brake pads, but thats about the worst of it.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If she rolls easy after a drive (hot rotors & pads) then caliper ain't dragging. If caliper ain't dragging it's got no reason to grab and hop, brake torque is a function of line pressure and the caliper certainly can't make its own pressure. Master cylinder makes the pressure, but it's not side-specific, just axle-specific - meaning both calipers on each axle will be acting up, not just one. Also that pressure valve has never been an issue, and if it ever does become one it will affect both wheels, not just one.

Pull the rotor, inspect the parking brake. Wouldn't be the first time a non-riveted friction delaminated from its steel backing and got jammed where it don't belong causing issues.
                              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Working...
                              X