31 spline final drives & TracLoks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

31 spline final drives & TracLoks

Began thinking of this when obsessing over my soon to be '93 Town Car last Friday.... Why not run 31 spline parts in our 8.8 carriers? 28 spline TracLoks and 3.27 or numerically higher final drives are getting hard to find and 31 spline stuff is sturdier if you go with Ford Racing branded stuff from what I recall. So why not just buy new Ford Racing 3.27+ gears + Ford Racing TracLok:
    http://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-v...3-55-gear-set/
    http://adtr.net/product/ford-crown-v...lok-31-spline/

All we would need are custom 31 spline axles. Because the 28 spline related parts in Ebyt and the 31 spline related parts I linked both share the 8.8 carrier. The only missing link is the axles. So let's hear it guys, who do we go to for those new axles? Moser? Strange Engineering? I'm assuming we just ask them to make new 31 spline axles for a '92-'97 model year panther with the 8.8 carrier (and disc brake rear end just to be sure)? I'm assuming the crush sleeve eliminator would also work without changes because it's 8.8 carrier specific, I don't think it cares how many splines our axles, TracLok, and final drive have. Thanks for any help in advance- I would like to have this stuff figured out before I get into Katrina's and Eva's builds, not after. Plus I'm sure others of us are looking to for an easier drop-in rear end upgrade too!
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Maybe check Yukon axles out. I tried getting Moser to verify if the Maurauder axles they carry would work for the 09 rear I put in my Vic and they wouldn't do it without me sending in an old one, even though it's the same axle...

The Yukon axles I got are great so far and seem to be well built.
    These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

LincolnLarry had some made for his Town Car, think he went with Moser's IIRC, probably worth asking him. Making them for the 90.5-97 rear end would obviously be the way to go, just for the extra track width.
      Granted, how many boxes even exist with enough power to kill the 28 spline's?
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I scored a ‘94 Towncar limo axle, which has 31 spline axles from the factory.
        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

As far as I know all 8.8 gears fit regardless of the axles or carrier. last i checked Mustangs still used the 8.8" rear. Don't know if that is still true but have not heard of that changing.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
            Supposedly those have a larger bearing on the axle as well, can you confirm?

I will be sending a pair out some time soon to get copies made with 31 splines for the 92-97 rear ends. Whomever I go through I will make sure to let them know to save the build specs for other customers, and post the order specs here when i do.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
              did you get the entire rear diff assembly or just the axles?
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

I got Moser 31 spline axles made for the wagon, so far, so good. Their axles get more expensive when you add ABS rings though.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?
                1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

still have your build sheet laying around, and or part number on their end?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                    Supposedly those have a larger bearing on the axle as well, can you confirm?

I will be sending a pair out some time soon to get copies made with 31 splines for the 92-97 rear ends. Whomever I go through I will make sure to let them know to save the build specs for other customers, and post the order specs here when i do.
                    From what I understand, they keep everything on file. All you need is an order #, I believe Cameron posted on CVN that you could use his name if you contacted Moser for axles.
                    I got mine by just filling out their online form, just measure carefully.

LOUD EXHAUST IS FUN! AM I SHOUTING?

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                      still have your build sheet laying around, and or part number on their end?
                      Order # was 100008322, axles are 31.5" in a 1997 rear end.

Comment

Cameron had a 99, right? were they all the same for 90.5-2002? I dont need abs rings, so hopefully that will bring the costs down. trying to nab a 31 spline trac lock off corral for $100 right meow.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                          Granted, how many boxes even exist with enough power to kill the 28 spline's?

My issue is going to be c-clip eliminators that fit our rear ends. They're not standard to anything else that exists, afaik. If I'm going so far as to get 9" ends welded on just to fit some (along with welded uubes and bracing), I'm not going to screw around with 31-spline axles when 35s aren't really much extra from the makers. Ford only makes up to 31 spline stuff, so it'll have to be a locker/spool for me.

Building a stock rear end to put power to the ground is a slippery slope to narrowed housings, custom 4-link, back-halved frame and tubbed body in my mind

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post

My issue is going to be c-clip eliminators that fit our rear ends. They're not standard to anything else that exists, afaik. If I'm going so far as to get 9" ends welded on just to fit some (along with welded uubes and bracing), I'm not going to screw around with 31-spline axles when 35s aren't really much extra from the makers. Ford only makes up to 31 spline stuff, so it'll have to be a locker/spool for me.

Building a stock rear end to put power to the ground is a slippery slope to narrowed housings, custom 4-link, back-halved frame and tubbed body in my mind
                            Going to all this trouble sounds like a dickache. I'd just go 9" at that point, although one of the very few advantages i have living in kommiefornia is that currie enterprises is about 15 minutes from where i live.

Comment

It is a dickache, but it'll take a bit of money to reliably put power to the ground with as much weight as these cars carry. I don't want to be the guy to oil down the track as his wheel rolls alongside.

These cars can fit plenty of rubber in the wheel wells, so traction shouldn't really be an issue if the rear end is up to snuff. It could be controlled better with some custom work, but no one has really taken it that far yet.

I've got grand delusions of a turbo bbf under the stock hood, if/when I ever get around to building the one I recently picked up cheap. Most of my previous comment came with that in mind [emoji846]

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Working...
                              X