Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do we turn for reproduction parts & panels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where do we turn for reproduction parts & panels?

I'm betting most of us think it's high time our boxes get something resembling aftermarket support. They've more than earned it!

Who do we throw money at to reproduce the commonly needed fiberglass, molded plastic or "soft" parts like Header panels, bumper filler panels, grilles, tail lights bezels/panels? There are some local plastic companies I can inquire about it, but I don't know anything about plastic molding or what have you so I have no idea if they'd even be able to help. Nice low hanging fruit, though.

Who do we turn to for "hard" parts like fenders, doors, rocker panels (inner + outer, aka complete panel), wagon tailgates, floors (trunk, toe boards)? Off the top of my head, there's AMD. I've read mostly good things about the stuff they make, though it can add up really quick. Imagine this'll cost substantially more to get going than a batch soft parts would too.

Either way, figured it was something worth researching ahead of time before I start setting aside money for it next year. At the very least I'd love to see a run of say, 50 various soft parts made. A small run of ~20 hard parts would be nice to have too, but I'm guessing that'll be like, 4 grand just to start it up. But if I can get an accurate quote/estimate from whatever company is best suited to the job, that's something to work toward the following year. Let me know what you're all thinking, if there's some sorely sought after items I missed from either the soft parts of the hard parts lists.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

I hate to be the one saying this, but I doubt anyone is going to repop anything for these cars unless it’s shared with the Mustang. I wish I had different news, but the demand volume just isn’t there.

Best bet at this point is to hoard parts.

My idea. Play Mega Millions. Win. Take home a Lump sum of 200ish million out of 493 (taxes of course). Buy a huge warehouse and stuff it full of every sub-$1000 Box we find... and aero and whale too just because.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

1. Buy your own parts cars
      2. Save what you want
      3. Save what others might want
      4. Haul the rest to the junkyard
      5. Profit

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Unfortunately I don’t think most people outside of enthusiasts (like us ) would pay for those reproduction parts. Not too many view certain ‘80s cars as super collectible, especially a once-upon-a-time regular sedan.

I grab what parts I can, especially unobtainium or hard to get stuff when possible. I also try to utilize members and friends for a parts network. IMO, two door, wagon, and Lincoln owners get it the worst for certain parts available.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5 View Post
          1. Buy your own parts cars
          2. Save what you want
          3. Save what others might want
          4. Haul the rest to the junkyard
          5. Profit
          All of that works except #5. lol

Comment

I would have paid a lot of money for a new trunk floor for my box Lincoln about three years ago.
            Just saying...
            Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
            Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If I can sell some of the Mark 6 specific trim, interior, and other bits from the coupe shell I scrapped, I'd be ahead.

Maybe not "profit" per se... but at least the rust-free doors and fenders I bought it for would have cost me far less than market rates for them. So, at then-current scrap rates, I paid $250 for the lot of it

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

There was a time when you could get the Chinese re-pop fenders for even a Ford Tempo, which was surely a smaller market than for our cars (cop cars and taxis see fender benders regularly). The supply on those has completely dried up though, because the time period where there was reasonable demand for them was immediately after the Ford original parts became unavailable. We likely missed the boat by 20 years on this.

Most likely the answer is or was in China - let's skip the rhetoric surrounding that buzzword - we all know it'd be half the cost and that'd be the key to it being a successful venture.

Otherwise, indeed, the only option is for someone with too much money, space and time to start hoarding parts cars.

Another thought, Sherman Parts makes things like floor pans (though not for our cars, as nobody does). Couldn't hurt to ask how that process gets started.
                Last edited by kishy; 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

If you need parts get a plane ticket and fly south to the deserts. Rent a car and buy a set of tools. Get what you want and drive back home.

I flew out to Arizona a few years back (for work) and squirreled away two mint fenders in case I ever need them again. Just so many good parts in these dry lands.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you need parts get a plane ticket and fly south to the deserts. Rent a car and buy a set of tools. Get what you want and drive back home.

I flew out to Arizona a few years back (for work) and squirreled away two mint fenders in case I ever need them again. Just so many good parts in these dry lands.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd honestly be even more interested in interior parts. Dash pads, door panels, seat skins, that sort of thing.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                      X