Steering clounm swap - Wiper and cruise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering clounm swap - Wiper and cruise

My wagon has a non tilt, non intermittent wiper, no cruise steering wheel I want to swap out with either the column from the '84 (that I still need to get rid of at some point!) or one from the JY that just showed up.

The main reason is the wiper, I can not stand the one mode psycho wiper setting.

I would assume that the column itself should just unbolt and move over but is there anything I need to look for/ make sure I get?

Does the intermittent wiper electronics all live in the switch or is there a separate module/control box I need to be sure to get from the JY?

Obviously adding cruise to a non cruise car isn't going to be easy, has anyone done it? My thought is just getting the wheel with the buttons so I can add it in the future.

Thanks,

-Charles

IIRC, you're working with an '86 and the '84, as you mentioned, is the one you're considering swapping with.
    If the two are different, steering wheel mount-wise, the following threads might be helpful if you want to just swap the steering wheel and wireing.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...aration-advice
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...nther-Steering

Edit: On second thought, I'm not entirely certain if any of that is useful for non-tilt to tilt conversion.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-25-2018, 01:53 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Intermittent wipers have a governor under the steering column area you will have to grab that box/harness.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Should not need to change the column to get intermittent wiper, they're fairly unrelated items. But yeah, you need the switch of course, the governator, and the wiring between. Quite possibly it will all just plug in, but you'll want to have a look at the EVTM to confirm that. Adding the tilt column can also be done of course. I don't think there is any mount difference in steering wheels from 84-86 but I may be wrong there.

Cruise isn't that hard really. You need the servo, the cruise control module under the dash, the wiring between servo and module, and from module to column. The only possible hitch is you will also need the VSS. If your car had no cruise, 84 or 86 should also not have a VSS. Its not hard to add, it sits between the speedo cable and the trans. I do not know if the speedo cable is different on cars without a VSS though. If you've got both cars you should be able to look at the ends to confirm. You'll need to get the two wires from the VSS into the cruise module. I also wouldn't be surprised if some of the wiring connectors are already in place just needing to be plugged in.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

IIRC at least some 84 models used the splines shaft and nut to mount and retain the steering wheel, while the 85+ used a bolt and oblong flange. If swapping the whole column, you shouldn’t run into an issue - just pick the correct color steering wheel. Also your horn wiring will change since it’s moving from the turn signal switch to the center of the wheel.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thanks guys for the great info. I'll be swapping the column and the steering wheel, I do want the tilt also.

As long as the lower part of the column is the same I should be good. I have to look still to see if there is a slip joint or a knuckle or something right on the other side of the fire wall.

Comment

It connects to the lower steering shaft with a bolt that lives pretty much under the brake booster. Its just above the joint that is above the (probably frozen) slip joint. Pull the bolt and you should be good. Shift linkage connects pretty much right there as well.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X