Country squire help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country squire help

5.0 efi 1986 country squire Ltd. sat for a few years new gas tank pump fuel filter distributor will not run right. Fresh gas took the cats out and it will not rev up it has a dead spot at full throttle wicked miss at idle good vacuum any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s not the tfi or the sensor in the disturber we tried a completely different distributor out of an another running

Comment

I’d start with verifying the timing and fuel pressure.

Rotate to TDC compression, and verify the balancer is at 0/TDC to see if she’s slipped a little. If that checks out, pull the spout connector and get a timing light on that thing.

I cants recall the fuel pressure because my brain doesn’t work like it used to. Something around 40psi. On the low side with the vacuum hooked to the regulator. I like to rig mine up to watch it under load because revving it doesn’t ask for that much fuel.

It is sometimes wise to remember that new might not mean good.
      Last edited by Tiggie; 07-31-2018, 02:21 PM. Reason: Auto correct makes me incorrect
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        I’d start with verifying the timing and fuel pressure.

Rotate to TDC compression, and verify the balancer is at 0/TDC to see if she’s slipped a little. If that checks out, pull the spout connector and get a timing light on that thing.

I cants recall the fuel pressure because my brain doesn’t work like it used to. Something around 40psi. On the low side with the vacuum hooked to the regulator. I like to rig mine up to watch it under load because revving it doesn’t ask for that much fuel.

It is sometimes wise to remember that new might not mean good.
        Did the timing when we did the distributor so I don’t think it can be that. Haven’t done fuel pressure yet but your right, right around 35-40 psi. We’ll definitely try fuel pressure underlowd cuz it likes to stall even in park

Comment

Also too add did the seafoam trick in the vacuum line after that it did this worse

Comment

You set the timing with the SPOUT connector out? It won't be right otherwise.

10 BTDC is what it wants. Make sure you don't get 10 ATDC. I did that once, it ran like shit.

Check fuel pressure. 30-35 with the vac line on, 40-45 with the vac line off is about right.

Check the vacuum lines too, any bad ones need to be replaced, especially the one to the MAP sensor. Also check it for codes if you have not. If the TPS is a dud, it will act stupid but it will set a code for it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              You set the timing with the SPOUT connector out? It won't be right otherwise.

10 BTDC is what it wants. Make sure you don't get 10 ATDC. I did that once, it ran like shit.

Check fuel pressure. 30-35 with the vac line on, 40-45 with the vac line off is about right.

Check the vacuum lines too, any bad ones need to be replaced, especially the one to the MAP sensor. Also check it for codes if you have not. If the TPS is a dud, it will act stupid but it will set a code for it.
              Yes spout is out when we did the timing haven’t done codes yet but that’s next on the list. Usually the tps woudlt do this that severe

Comment

What the gadget and Tig said.

I once pulled the dizzy on one of these and put it back a tooth retarded. Started up fine but would not rev up or even move to save it's life. THe fellas on here helped me fix my stupidification and the car was right once again.

Seafoam is snake oil, it'll clean fuel infectors fine I'm sure but all that smoke you're seeing is the mineral oils within the stuff being burned. I've seen more than enough videos where they scope the combustion chambers before and after seafoam and the results are negligible. If put in the oil as suggested though, it will free sticky lifters and such. That much I believe. There are other methods to doing that though too.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Still stumped anyone have any ideas, computer maybe?

Comment

+1 possibility the distributor is mis-stabbed.
                    +1 pull the codes, they may not tell you the problem but will guide you towards it.

Do you have it wired for the correct firing order, which is noted on the sticker on the cooling fan shroud?
                    If you are using the Mustang firing order you may have found online, it's not correct for our cars.

Does the engine run OK with SPOUT disconnected? It will be short on power because the computer won't pull the timing, but if it at least runs properly, that's something worth knowing.
                    Last edited by kishy; 08-02-2018, 12:14 PM.

Current driver: wagon
                    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                    | 88 TC | 91 GM
                    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                    | Junkyards

Comment

The ECM rarely goes bad. Its not impossible, but its definitely not the most likely thing. They also tend to give wierd codes, no codes, or have some other sign that all is not well.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

like producing magic smoke... like the original ECM in the Mad Marquis I used to have.
                        Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yeah its not impossible for them to fail. Its a 30 year old electronic gizmo that lives in a torture chamber. Its still a fairly reliable device tho. I re-capped the one in my car because it was obviously oozing goo out of the caps, but it was working perfectly before I did it and still does.

Comment

Have you pulled and checked the spark plugs? They might all be fouled and shitty. Just a thought and a cheap, easy fix. Not a bad idea anyway since you don't know when they were last changed.

Comment

Originally posted by colejackson72 View Post
                              Fresh gas took the cats out and it will not rev up it has a dead spot at full throttle
                              You don't mention what you did with the cats. Remove them? Replace them? Left them alone?
                              If they got doused in fuel for long enough they may be plugging up, and in turn that is hurting your high rpm, as time goes on it just gets worse overall.
                              If you left the cats on it, disconnect the exhaust ahead of the cats and take it for a test drive. If it runs right you got your answer.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X