Code 32 EGR valve not seated/EVP,EPT circut low voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Code 32 EGR valve not seated/EVP,EPT circut low voltage

First off Id like to state that I have searched the forum on EGR codes and stumbling idle. Non of which fixed my issues yet.

I have a 86 MGM , which has for the last few months giving me issues . The car starts up fine ,idles high ,and drops down when warm . But once I put it in drive,and go a few kms it starts murmuring at low speed. When I come to a stoplight the heartbeat of my old girl starts skipping and has me worried ,until gas is applied again.

I have changed out the fuel filter, Cleaned the IAC, Cleaned the EGR (plunger seemed to work fine), went over vacuum lines,Changed spark plugs ,Thermostat/fluid,and Did cap and rotor. I also cleaned the injectors ,which made it run a bit smoother for about 30kms.

-My gauge needle also flutters around at lower speeds 0-70km, and ive had weird issue once a month where the car seems to slip into neutral when accel from a hill stop (or random) ,until I re-press the gas peddle.

I know there are a few bsics I still have yet to cover , but if anyone has insight into CODE 32C please let me know .

I used an Innova 3145 scanner

usually the EGR position sensor has been replaced with an aftermarket one that has a plunger that's a little too long. This makes it think that it's always open a little when it's not. Taking 1mm off the length of the rod may solve the problem. This could also be caused by a loose connection or bad contact to the position sensor. Btw... it's the electrical connection on the "top" of the EGR valve. Make sure there's a solid voltage on one wire, ground is good on another and the third has some voltage between the 2. I do not remember wire colors or values off the top of my head though. I think the high voltage is supposed to be close to 5V.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2018-08-01 at 5.33 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1284362

how much should the rod press in when installed? mine moves at least 1/8 inch when bolting together with the EGR(O ring installed ). Im assuming its supposed to make some sort of contact ?

Thanks again .

Comment

That, I'm not sure of. Gadget may know that one. I've never actually had that problem on my cars. I thought it was supposed to make a little contact... but not as much as the aftermarket ones seem to want to make.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not sure the physical measurement. Use a voltmeter to check it and see what it reads, file the end to suit. Of course you'll need to make sure the valve is actually fully closed first, otherwise its not going to be the correct fix.
          http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page35.html

Might be worth trying some lube in the IAC. If that plunger is sticky it won't work correctly. A honk of penetrating oil should do it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Not sure the physical measurement. Use a voltmeter to check it and see what it reads, file the end to suit. Of course you'll need to make sure the valve is actually fully closed first, otherwise its not going to be the correct fix.
            http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page35.html

Might be worth trying some lube in the IAC. If that plunger is sticky it won't work correctly. A honk of penetrating oil should do it.
            Dont mean ti hi jack tread but I wonder if code 33 is close to the same i been trying to figure it out for a while with no luck car runs perfectly fine with no hiccups

Comment

33 is EGR not opening. Often thats a vacuum leak between the control solenoid and the valve, the valve itself leaks, or there is a leak between the sensor and the egr valve. The other option is the regulator is bad, or there is no vacuum to the regulator. Try a hand vac pump and see if you can pull the egr valve open and make sure it holds. If it does, the EGR regulator is probably bad or has no vacuum. Should see manifold vacuum at the red line going into it. Those plastic lines are usually pretty petrified by now.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

what 's meaning of that ?
                درباره خواص روغن خراطین چه میدانید ؟

Comment

Originally posted by shahamion View Post
                  what 's meaning of that ?
                  If you're setting code 32, you may have a bad position sensor for the EGR.

If you're setting code 33, you may have a vacuum leak. Inspect for leaks by starting at the EGR and follow the vacuum line back from there.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-27-2018, 09:40 AM.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                  X