1986 country squire help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 country squire help!

Just picked up a 1986 country squire wagon 5.0 EFI that has been sitting for a few years. Bought it not running. Replaced fuel pump relay, EEC relay, fuel filter, plugs, cap, wires, and plugs and it runs...not good.
    Very rough idle, blows black smoke, and will not take throttle above 1/4 otherwise it dies.
    Fuel pressure at idle is 30-32 psi and goes to 35-40 under throttle before it dies.
    No check engine lights even when TPS and EGR are unplugged, but the light comes on normally when you start the car.
    Cats are removed, distributor, EGR, and egr solenoid was taking off of a running and driving car and made no difference. Timing is spot on and Car is making good vacuum at idle after I checked for leaks.
    Any help is much appreciated I'm at a loss!

bad gas with poor burn or water in it would be my first guess. Light won't trigger for EGR or TPS unplugged unless it runs for a while like that. I'd put in fresh gas and prime the system about 5 times (key on engine off for 2-3 seconds then off... repeat 5 times). Then start it and see if it's running better or not. Could be clogged/pissing injectors too and fresh gas and running it for a while may fix that. Also, changing the oil is probably needed if not already done as the oil will be degraded and may be limiting movement and risking bearing wear.

#1 rule of cars that have sat for more than a year. Change all the fluids first.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Forgot to mention, I drained the tank and put 10 gallons of fresh gas in. Made no difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

86 has no real check engine light. The light only comes on when oil pressure is below 5psi and the same light is shared with the coolant temperature sensor. More commonly referred to the replace engine light as it is kinda what needs to be done if that light goes on.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Check the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor. Sensor is on firewall, passenger side up high. The hose that goes to them is junk after 30ish years.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Tested vacuum at the map sensor. 15-20 psi (or whatever the units are) car idles higher once unplugged but almost stalls once vacuum line is plugged in

Comment

Does it run better with the MAP vacuum unplugged? If so, replace the MAP. Bad MAP sensors with vacuum run like good MAP sensors with no vacuum, which is to say rich and generally horrible. They tend to run more or less normal with no vacuum though.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Runs better with it off. Idle is higher but still doesn't take throttle. Swapped it out with a known good one and there is no difference

Comment

After running codes, I got 63 and 32. TPS and egr issues. Took the TPS off of a 1990 grand marquis that's running fine and there is no difference

Comment

well damn, so much for that.

Ever checked it for codes? Usually when its running this awful something will spit out a fault.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page13.html

Does it hold fuel pressure when you shut the engine off? If one or more injectors are leaky it'll run like garbage but the fuel pressure will bleed off pretty quickly when you turn it off. The plugs should also tell you something.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's been about 5 minutes since the fuel pressure test. Dial has not moved from 31 psi. I got codes 63 and 32 but I swapped TPS from another running car and nothing changed

Comment

15 minutes later it has dropped 2 psi

Comment

no worries about fuel pressure then.

I think the only thing left really is the injectors are probably just pissing fuel or jammed and leaking just enough for it to idle badly.

Since someone else on here recently got a shit cap and rotor... try cleaning up the old cap and rotor and just using that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

is that an engine running test? If not, it'll be stored codes that may have been fixed.

If the 32 is legit, it means the EGR valve possibly has a nugget of crap under it and that will make it run poorly. Make sure there is no vacuum on the line at idle, and make sure its not stuck partly open.

Comment

It was an engine off test. I took the egr off of a 1989 lincoln that runs fine. It was a little difference but plugged in and fitted fine. That made no difference. I also swapped over the two soloneoid things (I have no idea what they are called) that the egr vacuum line plugs into and there is no difference. Could I get different codes with the engine running?

Comment

Working...
                              X