No announcement yet.

1986 country squire help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah, the engine off are just codes that it has set in the past. There is a threshold where a problem has to occur a certain number of times before it sets too. The problems may have been taken care of. The engine running test will give you what ails it now.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Any good advice? We are stumped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did the engine running test give you any codes? Have you pulled the plugs to see what they look like? What about the cap/rotor ?
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

PROBLEM FOUND. Posting this incase anyone has similar problems in the future. Turned out the engine computer under the dashboard on the driver side firewall was to blame. Ordered a reman one through napa, plugged it in, adjusted the timing, and it runs like a brand new car. Thanks to all who gave helpful advice

Comment

Thanks for the update!
            So many threads are left hanging, this will be good info for people in the future I'm sure.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Unfortunately I have to post another update. Car ran perfectly for 4 days. Did over 200 miles. Today in a drive-through the car started running rough again and blowing smoke exactly like it did before. Ran perfect in the morning. Not getting anything above 1/2 throttle it spits and sputters. Car says it's getting 150 mpg. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with computers shorting/burning out?

Comment

Originally posted by Pvisser9887 View Post
                Unfortunately I have to post another update. Car ran perfectly for 4 days. Did over 200 miles. Today in a drive-through the car started running rough again and blowing smoke exactly like it did before. Ran perfect in the morning. Not getting anything above 1/2 throttle it spits and sputters. Car says it's getting 150 mpg. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with computers shorting/burning out?
                Might be worth opening it up (unless its under a warranty) and inspecting the caps on the board to see if any are split or leaking. Not sure what those company do when they "remanufacture" a ECU. I've personally not had a bad one, but someday I'm sure there will be a first time.

My Cars:
                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I'm assuming it's bad because the symptoms are identical to when the first computer was bad. My problem is that if it is bad, could something else on the car be frying them? Or could it just be a bad computer?

Comment

Check the running voltage. If the battery is over-charging or if the alternator is dicked and putting out AC it might kill the ECM. Missing grounds will do it too. There is a ground wire that lands on the back of the lower intake, and one that connects to the battery itself that need to be present and good. There are some over in the corner behind the cruise servo that are related to the ECM harness too.

honestly those computers last virtually forever. I re-capped mine because it was apart for other reasons and the caps were leaking visibly but the car was running fine.

Comment

x2 on what the inspector said.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Alternator is putting out 14 volts of DC. I've been checking for bad grounds. The previous owner had hacked up one ground in particular. The ground wire starts on the drivers side firewall and runs in the harness with all other wires and ends up at the plug for the distributor. What's odd to me is that this wire is bare meaning there is NO insulation. No other wires appear to be melted. What is also odd is the previous owner splice on insulated wire and connected it to the negative battery terminal. I don't understand where the original location of this ground could be and if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Also, the box that holds the engine computer has one broken and one loose stud not sure if that is important to be grounded

Comment

The harness for the distributor is wrapped in foil and it has a bare shield wire over the foil. Thats normal.

There is a ground wire that runs direct to the battery terminal as well.

Comment

My auto-electric buddy tells me that reman computers can crap out sometimes too so that's definitely an avenue worth exploring if nothing else turns up an answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X