LED direct replacement Headlight Bulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED direct replacement Headlight Bulbs

Having HID's in the TC and the SL, I am really moved to improve the Marauder and maybe the Escape.

Here is an example which happens to be 9007 HB5 style. These fit the 03 Merc. I am reasonable sure you could get them for H1 & H4 housings as well. These show a cutoff pattern which mimics the H4 & H1 lenses I had in the 89 which was very nice for me and Ok for opposing traffic.

This particular set promises 8000Lum. I see quite a rage of output options. Most seem 6,000K color

They all seem reasonably priced if they can really provide better lighting for my "older" eyes.

Anyway I am looking for input.

Thanks,
    Jay

https://www.amazon.com/Vouke-Extreme...2%3A1248861011
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Some input; That beam pattern in the ad is a result of the housing used, not the bulb itself.
    I'm also not a fan of fans on these things. Seen enough fail in a "clean" environment of a cpu case, never mind getting damp & oily.

The only way to find out if they are any good unfortunately is to be a guinea pig. Most of the youtube reviews are big on the wow, and very lacking in good side by side comparisons.

Alex.

Comment

I see there are also units available with no fans. They use flexible metal wings as sinks.

Also there are some very expensive PIAA bulbs. in the $180-$220 range.

Also I suspect i would need Canbus adapters for both the 03 Merc & 12 ford.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The 03 would use regular ones. The LCM isn't smart. You would need load resistors for the blinkers though. The 12, just look up the current bulbs and that should tell you if they're canbus or not.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I am guessing that since it is an H13 bulb that means no resistor is required as it will pull enough watts to be found as good?
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Unless you have headlight out warning lights (message center might have that - test by pulling a bulb connector off), it doesn't load test the headlights. I guess the designers figured people could tell when a headlight burned out just by looking out the front of the car at night.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I would suggest going as low on the color temp as possible. The higher it is, the more blue there is, and blue is hard on the eyes. Mine too if I happen to be coming the other way.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They all seem to be around 6k. Aim is critical to get along with others. Not sure about the scatter.

there is this type with no fan.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3GKFM0...ding=UTF8&th=1
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Ordered these from Ebay. To try them on the 03. Very good reviews on Amazon. They have no fan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAMTECH-H1...72.m2749.l2649

Will be waiting to buy some universal headlight caps to try and work with these and my housings. Need to get a $25 order together to get them with free shipping on Amazon

So this will take awhile.

Now I need to find a nice long place to change the bulbs & compare the beams without getting hassled.

Would love to find some nice Yellow H1's to use in the fogs. I wonder how bright fogs should be for optimum fog performance.
                  Last edited by jaywish; 08-05-2018, 04:37 PM.
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

BTW: They should fit in the stock collar without issue. You will have to remove the set screw that holds the LED shaft/heatsink into the twist lock. Then slide the headlamp assembly collar over the LED and put the twist lock back on. That is if you can't finagle the thing over the twist lock in the first place.

Comment

Sounds like fun. Maybe I will remove the battery for the right side bulb. Try that one first with easier access.

On the bright side I have a spare headlight to practice on..... But no collar, dang.

I figure making the new universal dust boot work will be great enjoyment.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

probably won't be too big of an issue. Just make sure to allow airflow to the heatsink and give it an occasional spray to clean the fins.

Comment

Good advice. The boot is designed for that, the pointy end goes in.
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Well I made the first pass at installing these boys in the Marauder. Same basic headlight as 03/4 Marquis.
                            Instructions said I would not need to disassemble the bulb to install the clip sly mentioned. That was wrong. It needed to be done. 1.5mm hex. It was easy to do. Installing the bulb into the housing was also easy. Of course i did remove the headlight to make things easy. These cars have 2 nuts and 3 bolts to remove the headlight housing and sidemarker, plus the radiator cover, 3 fancy pushclips.
                            just noticed I didn't take a pic of the removal of the bulb part I had to remove to slip the clip in. That is the back plastic part with the O-Ring. The pic is when I unnecessarily removed the connector side.

Instructions also said to reinstall the dust cap/boot. You can see from the pics how well that worked. Instructions also said to contact them, the seller is Beamtech, in case the cap does not fit. I sent them a couple of pics. Don't know about other headlights but these have a pigtail that plugs into the car harness coming out of the headlight body. There is a harness inside the headlight which plugs into the bulb inside the housing which is covered bu the cap.

I have not plugged it in as yet as it started to rain again while I was changing the bulb inside the house.

Also there is a pic of my Silverstar bulb which was the first change I made to the Marauder. Note the bulb date and country of origin.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_143715.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1284439Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_143748.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	1284440Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_144106.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1284442Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_145339.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1284443Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_145357.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1284444Click image for larger version

Name:	20180813_145521.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	1284445
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by jaywish; 08-13-2018, 07:23 PM.
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Told ya.

Comment

Working...
                              X