Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'87 Colony park turned off during movement!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, just tried to plug, but you are totally right!. It doesn't fit. I will try to get the original IAC and hope its solve my problem, but I suspect another possible reason since this valve has been unplugged ever and didn't notice that when I bought the car.

Comment

Good luck finding a correct IAC, here in the U.S. it is easy.

I think you are correct about the ignition module and coil. When I had problems with those parts the car would not start again until the module cooled down or the coil dried. Unfortunately I don't have any idea what might be your issue, and you are right that there may be something other than the IAC causing the issue since the IAC has been unplugged the whole time you've owned the car.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

A couple thoughts:

1 - if it shuts off suddenly, and there are no lights on the dash when this happens, your problem is electrical (wiring, ignition switch being the likely items to look at). If the engine stops but lights are on, it could have been a stall for other reasons like ignition module, coil, etc.

If no lights were on the dash, it is not an ignition problem (e.g. getting sparks into the engine) and it's a wider-scope electrical problem (e.g. main electrical connections being interrupted at ignition switch). For example the oil pressure light should turn on when the engine stalls, because it is powered by the ignition switch. Ignition switch on but engine not running = oil pressure light is on. No light = no power.

2 - If the IAC is not operational, such as being disconnected, most likely someone had raised the idle speed of the engine to compensate. The IAC allows the idle speed to be low, so the computer can add air to raise the idle speed as needed (different load conditions, etc). If the idle speed was never raised to compensate for the IAC being inoperative, then you will experience stalls at various times (like idling and turning the steering wheel = added load from power steering pump) because the computer can't raise the idle speed.

But, if the engine stalls like that, you will have warning lights (at least oil pressure) on the dash because the power is still on.

Since it will immediately start again, but as you said there are no warning lights on when it stalls, I believe you need to focus on the ignition switch.
        Last edited by kishy; 08-07-2018, 02:40 PM.

Current driver: Ranger
        Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
        | 88 TC | 91 GM
        Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
        Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
        | Junkyards

Comment

Thanks Kishy for your detailed thoughts.
          When the shutoff occurs, the warning lights on the dash were ON, like when you turn the key to first position.
          In addition, the situation you described on the point #2 is exactly what happen to me, the engine stalls when I turn the steering wheel or sometimes when I change the transmission positions (R, D, 1 or 2) or just at idling, just discovered with all this comments that the IAC could be the problem.
          Iīm worried about the ignition module, because I change it with the coil almost 1 year ago following the instruction on this forum, both of them from Motorcraft brand and were not cheap here

Comment

I misunderstood the situation then, I thought you had no warning lights following the engine shutting off.

In that case it does sound as if your idle speed may be too low to continue running when you add extra load. Focus on the IAC first.

If the ignition module was installed correctly (which involves the use of a heat transfer thermal compound between the module and distributor body), it should not be dead yet. Also it seems like when they act up, they keep acting stupid until they cool off. You would probably also be seeing a misfire condition once it has a chance to warm up, before the stalling begins. However things don't fail in 100% consistent ways so it's hard to be sure.

If you installed it using no compound at all, or if it came with a grease that is not specifically a thermal compound, you may wish to consider removing it, cleaning the surfaces, and applying a thin layer of computer CPU thermal paste (e.g. Arctic Silver 5) when you reinstall it. It might have nothing to do with the problems you have right now but it prolongs the life of the module by allowing better heat transfer away from the module.
            Last edited by kishy; 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
            | Junkyards

Comment

Yes, I use thermal paste to install the Ignition module, following the instructions on this forum. Will try with the IAC first as you suggest.
              I think it will be a bit difficult here, just ask to my local dealer of Ford parts and they donīt have it...

My greatest fear is that this situation occurs when Iīm on a risky enviroment, like a Highway or a downhill, because lately the engine shutoff on the middle of the driving, no only with a added load.
              Last edited by JesusGM; 08-07-2018, 04:44 PM.

Comment

The IAC will only cause the engine to stall at a time when it is at idle (throttle closed/foot is not on the gas), because the IAC's job is only to add more air when the throttle is closed. But it could happen when the throttle is closed but the car is moving, depending on the exact situation.

Regardless, it is not the right part and not connected, so it needs to be fixed before you can say confident that it is or is not causing this specific problem. Maybe a member here has a spare one they know works, that they can sell to you inexpensively.

| 88 TC | 91 GM
                | Junkyards

Comment

Looks like they popped a mustang IAC valve on there. They angle downwards like that. When installed onto our cars they angle downwards directly into the throttle cable bracketry...cruise, TV, and accelerator cables. The proper stock one for our vehicles comes straight out.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Looks like they popped a mustang IAC valve on there. They angle downwards like that. When installed onto our cars they angle downwards directly into the throttle cable bracketry...cruise, TV, and accelerator cables. The proper stock one for our vehicles comes straight out.
                    Yeah, definitely, the angle is not proper on this one. I tried to connect the plug (before noticed that are different), and the angle does not allow it with the valve installed.

I had to go to ebay for a new valve. Not cheap with shipping to Chile, but at least is Motorcraft with apparently, the correct connector. I will try my lucky with this problem!. Even if this does not solve my original problem, it needs to be replaced anyway. I appreciate all your help, guys!

Comment

Well, I received the IAC Valve purchased by ebay and that definitely solve my idle problem!. Like a different car, the car start without problem!, also, no problems during parking movements!. However, I only drove few miles with the valve connected, so I donīt know if this solve my original problem of shutoff during movement, hope it does!!!

Anyway, and certainly, your advice help me to solve another pending problem!

Comment

Hello Guys!. A report of this case:

The car ran fine after I changed, or better said, installed the proper IAC Valve. that was about 40 days ago and the car doesnīt stop at movement, but sometimes it does on "parking position", at idling.

Today, the car stops again at movement, so my problem was not completely solve with the IAC Valve, any other thoughts about it?. I was thinking on the fuel line, but the pump, the strainer and the filter were replaced one year ago and the fuel tank was removed, repaired and cleaned. Now the car stop at idling and in movement, not always, but occasionally. Still I think is a dangerous situation...
                        All the electrical sistem was checked too, the car is in perfect condition in this aspect.

what do you think will be my next suspected diagnosis?

Comment

Is the throttle body clean? With the car off, look behind the throttle valve (open the throttle). If it's all black, take a rag and hose it with carburetor/throttle body cleaner and wipe out the crud. This should help with the idle. You can also check the idle if you have a timing kit. Pull the SPOUT jumper, disconnect the IAC, and set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. Then adjust the throttle stop screw until the idle is between 675 and 725 rpm. Once that's done, plug in the IAC and SPOUT and you're done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks, Sly. I heard something similar from a Mechanic, but this apply for the EFI Engine (like mine) in some way?. How can I do it? or what I need to clean?

Comment

The part that opens when you press the gas pedal is the throttle body. With the car off, remove the intake tube and look in the throttle body and open the valve. If it's all crusty behind it... that's the part to clean with a rag. Also give the ports on the right side that go to the IAC a squirt to help clear them out too. If that doesn't sort it... you'll need to check the idle speed as stated above.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X