A/C not blowing as cold as it should

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C not blowing as cold as it should

Thanks to the help of Vicky, I managed to get my A/C running on my 89 townie, however, these passed few days, I had noticed that it is blowing cool air, not cold as it should. The weird thing is that weeks before when I let the car run for a while with the A/C on, it was COLD!!!

I can hear the compressor kicking on, so it's not like the compressor is crapping out.

Anyone ever dealt with this?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

check to make sure the evap is getting cold (the dryer should be cold as well - so just checking that should be good enough). If it's still good, then you may have a broken blend door to deal with (remove air plenum and rebuild the blend/vent doors with piano hinges). If it's not getting cold, you may have a bad/blown orifice tube that needs replaced. You could also have a restriction somewhere else and if you find something else to be cold on the system (like half of the condenser) the clog will be there and that would be preventing the system from working right. The compressor may not actually be compressing good (blown seal on a piston or 3). Putting a set of gauges on the system will figure that out. Rule of thumb for that is the high side should be about 3x ambient temp for the orifice tube system in the panthers. If it's +/- 10% you should be fine. If it's really high (like over 350psi), your radiator fan is not pulling enough air or there's a restriction in the condenser. If the high side is low (below 180psi with the low side constantly over 30psi), the compressor isn't compressing well, or the orifice tube is blown.

This is all assuming the compressor isn't short cycling due to insufficient refrigerant.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      check to make sure the evap is getting cold (the dryer should be cold as well - so just checking that should be good enough). If it's still good, then you may have a broken blend door to deal with (remove air plenum and rebuild the blend/vent doors with piano hinges). If it's not getting cold, you may have a bad/blown orifice tube that needs replaced. You could also have a restriction somewhere else and if you find something else to be cold on the system (like half of the condenser) the clog will be there and that would be preventing the system from working right. The compressor may not actually be compressing good (blown seal on a piston or 3). Putting a set of gauges on the system will figure that out. Rule of thumb for that is the high side should be about 3x ambient temp for the orifice tube system in the panthers. If it's +/- 10% you should be fine. If it's really high (like over 350psi), your radiator fan is not pulling enough air or there's a restriction in the condenser. If the high side is low (below 180psi with the low side constantly over 30psi), the compressor isn't compressing well, or the orifice tube is blown.

This is all assuming the compressor isn't short cycling due to insufficient refrigerant.
      Awesome. Thanks. But I didn't know box townie's had blend doors.

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Everything has blend doors lol.
        But yeah, sly's advice is on point. All I have to add about the fan not pulling air is to check if there is any build up of gunk between the radiator & condenser. There was a shit load of leaves in between my radiator & condenser on my Ranger. Got that cleared up and was good to go.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

They do. The HVAC system is virtually unchanged from 1980-2012. The only real change is in 1990 when it changed to an electric motor to move the blend door. Boxes use either a cable or a vacuum motor to do it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gotcha, GADGET! The air conditioned guru! lol I was hoping to hear from you!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

When I hook up the freon can, the gauge jumps up and down from 30-35 to 50-55 psi in sync with the compressor turning on and running for 4-6 seconds at a time

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
              -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You need the real gauge set, need to know what the high and low side are doing like sly mentioned. The Mickey mouse stuff won't cut it here
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Standing pressure (AC OFF) should be at around 90 psi from what I've seen with my cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yeah, I need to get the manifold gauge kit.

Well after a day, i no longer have cold air. I am sure it leaks somewhere. I put the dye in it, I just need the dark to see where it could be. The the compressor doesn't even engage!

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

yep. probably a leak then.

Comment

Is there a common spot where boxes leak, or is ever car different?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You probably need some 134 in there to get the compressor pumping which will distribute the dye to the leak.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

i used the rest of my r-134a followed by these dye shots that you pump into the system. the system was betweeen 45-50 psi @ 83 degrees F. However, I had issues using the UV light to find the leak

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Could be anywhere. I've had a lot of trouble with leaks at the charge ports, but any connection points are a possible issue. I've replaced a condenser in my Towncar, John has done several evaporators. I once had a compressor lose a shaft seal. Basically it depends, you just have to seek and destroy the leak.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X