Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Marq from the Czech Republic

Hello guys,
    Im 1987 Grand Marquis owner from the Czech Republic. This car is in CZ for almost 30 years and had really tough life. Im the owner for past 12 years. It always has been second or third car, but it also served as some kind of party van or party mobile. The engine slowly transformed into oil sludge ball, the vinyl landau top is disapearing in small parts, rust is digging. So now I needed do decide what to do with the good old GM. Sell it? For how much? No one wants it... Scrap it? Holly sh*t! No! Never!
    So there is last possibility, the correct one - restore it It will be project for this fall/winter. Complete engine rebuild, some welding, new landau etc. Im pretty sure, it will cost much more than is the GMīs actual value, but understand, this car is a trusty (and rusty) friend.
    And lets start with first question: Is there any simple way how to dig out some more HP from the engine? Because, if the engine will be complettely disassembled, rebuild and I will buy lots of new parts, why dont buy some HP too...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by el_brujo; 08-09-2018, 11:17 AM.

Welcome! I wondered about the .cz when I approved the account...

Looking forward to seeing future progress on this car and I'm sure members here (myself included) will be able to help hook you up with any parts that you have trouble finding.

Current driver: Ranger
    Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
    | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
    Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
    | Junkyards

Comment

Nice car! I was very fortunate enough to be able to visit the Czech Republic about four years ago. Beautiful country. Great beer! Y'all invented pilsner!
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!

Was this a US car originally?

Assuming it’s a 302 SEFI car, the horsepower potential depends on how much you want to spend since most of what is sold for the Fox 5.0 Mustangs fits the engine physically. Many members are happy with stock Mustang spec HO conversions (computer, heads, cam, upper intake, throttle body, injectors, and exhaust). Other members go a bit farther and use better than HO heads, intake, cam, whatever else they want which does require a mass air conversion and possibly a tune. Maybe just toss a couple turbos on it...
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes, this car was imported from Florida by someone back in 1991. There is maybe around 40 or 50 panther boxes in the whole country. Most of them are TC

I consider all possibilities of what to with the engine. The only modification I did by now was installing custom made duals with H pipe and pair of dynomaxes. Along with cats deleting and the smog pump deleting. But honestly, I dont feel any difference in performance. It only has better sound.

We will start with the car in the end of September, so I still have a month for reading and thinking.
            I will not do the engine by myself, I dont have space, time and the most important - I dont have the skills.
            This guy will work on it https://www.facebook.com/vlastimil.lehecka his profile is open, so you can check the photos
            I just need to know the direction, let it stock or modify. And if modify, then how much modify.
            For now Im sure we will give away the cast iron exhaust manifolds. Im looking for a pair of Lincoln logs as they are direct replacement. But it seems they are not in production as a spare part. I checked rockauto and amazon, but no luck.

Sorry, for mistakes in my English. Im using it for communication at work, but Im not a native speaker
            Last edited by el_brujo; 08-10-2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Giraffe: Yep.This is what we are famous for Cheers!
              Attached Files
              Last edited by el_brujo; 08-10-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Your English is very good. It was one of the things popping into my head before you yourself mentioned anything about it.

Good idea going with the lincoln logs. This will enable you to still utilize your custom exhaust.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thank you for the compliment

I hope I will get the logs here in this forum. Someone already offered them to me, so he may be willing to send them to Europe.

I added some more pitures of the GM. It looks nice in photos, but there is really awfull stuff under the landau, and the rockers, especially the right one are gone. But this we can manage Click image for larger version

Name:	38834133_415893322253943_6725971428950147072_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1284432Click image for larger version

Name:	38963613_448177372334366_4031047190657892352_n.jpg
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	1284433Click image for larger version

Name:	38901811_306511306751503_4930005226057891840_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1284434Click image for larger version

Name:	38824954_477245586103426_6351067672167317504_n.jpg
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1284435Click image for larger version

Name:	38879477_276307756292802_1415565330352177152_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1284436

Comment

Welcome!

The car looks way too good to even consider scrapping it. Good luck with the engine rebuild and upgrades. As you are aware, these cars aren't worth much but if the engine is rebuilt right you will be able to enjoy the car for many more years. To me it would be worth it and I'm glad you think so too.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome! I like the pic of your GM with the red GM.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                        Welcome! I like the pic of your GM with the red GM.
                        Itīs my friendīs 87. Fully restored. The restoration was paid by insurance company because he was hit by a female driver in Skoda Octavia and all costs were covered by her insurance.
                        The insurance company didnīt have GM in their tables so they paid full price of all parts, paint etc. This is how we live here

Comment

Welcome here, having an american car in Central Europe should be amazing, When I was in France, I had a 77 Chevy Caprice and it was very funny to drive it in the small roads, people are not used to seeing these cars and are impressed, I suppose in CZ too
                          1987 Colony Park LS wagon
                          1988 Grand marquis LS sedan

Comment

If you decide to modify the engine, i have a BBK SSI intake manifold that i would be happy to donate if somebody can figure out shipping to CZ. By the by, you folks make great firearms. I have a vz58 and i love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner02480 View Post
                              Welcome here, having an american car in Central Europe should be amazing, When I was in France, I had a 77 Chevy Caprice and it was very funny to drive it in the small roads, people are not used to seeing these cars and are impressed, I suppose in CZ too
                              Yes, itīs the same here. People are taking photos, asking what is it, what is the fuel consumption, assuming that such a large car needs to go 20l/100km

Comment

Working...
                              X